Students ‘starstruck’ by author

Cary Holladay, a novelist and short story writer, is the second speaker of the Living Writers series.

For young writers, a chance to talk with a successful author can be a great inspiration, but it can be hard to come by.

Students of the Living Writers class are given a chance to learn from contemporary novelists through a series of lectures.

Tonight, Cary Holladay, known for her Southern writing, will deliver the second lecture of the series.

Pam Durban, professor of the Living Writer course, said she considered the first lecture by Tobias Wolff on Sept. 10, a great success.

“We opened the doors and windows so that the people that couldn’t get in and were standing outside could also hear the lecture,” Durban said.

Once again, tonight’s lecture offers both students and the public an interesting writer and prize-winning author Holladay.

“She is a very lyrical writer, concerned with language and the music of language,” Durban said. “She plays around with time and memory.”

Her works included the novel “A Fight in the Doctor’s Office” and the short story collection, “The People Down South.”

Holladay and her husband, writer John Bensko, both teach fiction at the University of Memphis.

“In the course, we talk about time, how they use point of view, how the stories are structured,” Durban said. “We talk more about the craft of writing and how the craft achieves the art.”

Sarah Smith, a senior English major, said she feels lucky to have gotten into this 15-person class.

“I really feel like the writer’s visit helps me with my own work, since each writer has specific advice for young writers like myself,” Smith said in an e-mail.

In order to prepare for Holladay’s visit, the students have read a collection of her short stories.

“I really get a little starstruck when meeting any of these writers who we have spent so much time talking about,” Smith said.

“She has been very successful doing what we all would consider a dream job.”

The next writer in the series is Stuart Dybek, who will be lecturing on Oct. 15.

Attend the show

Time: 5:30 p.m. today
Location: University Room, Hyde Hall
Info: english.unc.edu/creative/readers.html

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.