Tar Heel Tech Fair attracts students with games

Compact discs served as horseshoes Tuesday at the second annual Tar Heel Tech Fair as students in the Pit put their CD-throwing skills to the test while learning about UNC’s technological services.

The event, which also attracted students with text messaging contests and Nintendo Wii games, included informational stands where students learned about projects by Information Technology Services and UNC students.

But many fair participants said that while they spent considerable time playing games, few of them actually visited the informational booths.

Senior journalism major Morgan Eberle, who helped run the CD toss, said the contest drew many people throughout the day. But she said she was concerned that participants did not actually look at the booths after playing the game.

Senior psychology and exercise and sport science major Tyler Singleton competed in the CD toss, but said he had not visited any of the informational booths set up nearby.

Sophomore Andrew Phillips, co-chairman of the technology and Web services committee for student government, said traffic through the fair reached a peak in the morning, particularly during class changes.

Phillips added that turnout this year was “as good as, if not better” than the year before.

Co-sponsored by the executive branch of student government and ITS, this year’s fair offered students a glimpse into UNC programs such as ConnectCarolina, the University’s transition to an integrated software system.

Several students said they were especially intrigued by the booth’s presentation on the new online registration program that UNC students will use next year.

Student organizations including Technology Without Borders and Carolina Open Source Initiative also had stands.

Other booths were dedicated to teaching students about wireless printing, library assistance and laptop security.

But most students were admittedly taking part in the fair for the chance to win a free iPod or receive a free laptop screen cleaning. They also wanted to participate in games such as “The Great CD Toss,” a minute-long texting contest or the Wii.

Some said participation would have been even higher had the fair been scheduled for another day with more frequent class changes.

“Turnout would have been better if the fair was on a Monday or a Wednesday,” said Linwood Futrelle, the ITS committee chairman for the event.

But Phillips said he also thought this year’s fair was an effective tool for educating students and hopes the event will become a tradition on campus.