An unlikely leader

Left-leaning Nikhil Patel leads conservative group

Patel, president of UNC’s Youth for Western Civilization chapter, breaks the controversial group’s stereotype.DTH/Ryan Jones

As a liberal-leaning Indian, Nikhil Patel is an unlikely leader for a conservative group.

President of the UNC chapter of Youth for Western Civilization, Patel has found himself caught in the crossfire of accusations stating that the group is radically right-wing, racist and close-minded.

Patel had reservations about the group’s values at first, too.

“You can’t take the stances of a few people and stereotype the whole club to be neo-Nazi nut jobs,” he said.

Patel first came to a YWC event last year after encouragement from his friend Riley Matheson, former president and founder of UNC’s YWC chapter.

This summer he stepped up to serve as president after two others before him declined. Patel wanted to ensure minority opinions would be represented on campus.

“If he hadn’t offered to be president, the group wouldn’t exist,” said Elliot Cramer, a YWC adviser.

A senior biology major from Huntersville, Patel said his belief in free speech for all gave him a greater drive to be involved with YWC after the group was silenced by protestors at the Tancredo speech in April.

“Censorship did not fly with me. I thought it would be nice to have a conservative point of view on campus just for the spirit of debate,” Patel said.

Born and raised in the U.S., his mother is from Zambia and his father is from Zimbabwe. But Patel associates most with his maternal grandmother’s Indian heritage.

Patel admits his own beliefs do not fit into those of YWC’s.

“My dad always taught me when I was a kid, instead of being angry at everything I hear that I disagree with, that I should understand it,” he said.

“You can’t be a man without being able to re-evaluate yourself and listen to other people.”

Patel said he is hesitant about the group’s desire for immigrant assimilation and against radical multiculturalism. He believes individuals should balance their heritage with that of the dominant culture.

As president, Patel has taken a lot of heat for the group this year, something that has not gone unnoticed within the group.

“He didn’t quit in the first place. Most people in his situation would,” said Hugon Karwowski, one of YWC’s three advisers.

“He became a poster boy for all the negative things being said about his organization. He is strong-willed, and his efforts are to protect the freedom of speech here.”

Patel said one of his goals is to join with other cultural clubs to create a day in which each organization displays the positives and negatives of its culture at a booth.

“He really did join the group to get a different prospective,” said senior Jon Courtney, a friend of Patel’s. “We need more skeptics in this world.”

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.