Artists, patients ?nd inspiration in program

Grant sponsors more participation

Local artists have found a unique venue and audience at UNC Hospitals through the Door to Door program.

The initiative seeks to provide hope and happiness to patients through the arts, bringing nearly 200 artists a year to perform.

“The idea of Door to Door is to offer the best of our community artists to patients so they can have an extraordinary experience,” said founder Joy Javits.

Door to Door received a needed boost of $10,000 from the N.C. Arts Council to pay 75 artists, cover the cost of administration and support the coordinator.

Some artists are paid to perform, others volunteer their time.

The program has helped patients, families and hospital staff for 16 years, since Javits established it in 1993.

Artists from all backgrounds, including poets, PlayMakers Repertory Company actors, harpists and cellists, perform for patients.

Javits said patients receive “a breath of fresh, beautiful air,” from the artistic guests.

During the time spent with the artist, patients get to relax and free their mind from the hospital room, Javits said.

Hospital staff are also rewarded, as the artists provide a break from the monotony of a workday.

“They get an exciting, sweet, interesting moment in their life,” Javits said.

The artists can also take something away from the experience.

“I have always enjoyed Door to Door at the hospital,” said Leslie Alperin, a cellist who has participated in the program.

“It is clear that music is a powerful balm, reaching deep into their hearts and souls. When I leave the hospital, I count my blessings.”

Javits said she is excited about the potential offered by the grant.

“We are so grateful to the N.C. Arts Council for the grant. By giving it to us, they are acknowledging the worthiness of the work we do,” Javits said.

The budget generally consists of money from fundraising, grants and various supporters, such as the Maola Foundation for Children and the UNC Hospitals Volunteer Association.

Javits said the experience is a “win-win-win,” because the patients, hospital staff and artists all benefit.

The program gives artists a chance to reach out and give back to the community.

“The Door to Door program brings the arts into a world that is often bleak,” said Callie Warner, a guitarist and singer who participates in the program.

“In the time that live artistic expression is shared, the patients and loved ones have a chance to escape.”

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.