Board of Governors discusses mission statements revisions

The UNC system is streamlining its focus on academics in the wake of the financial crisis, a trend made evident at Thursday’s monthly Board of Governor’s meeting.

The board discussed revising campus mission statements and revamping Winston Salem State University’s academic system.

Budget and finance

At the budget and finance committee meeting, WSSU Chancellor Donald Reeves discussed the school’s new strategic plan for academic excellence.

The plan involves overhauling university curriculum while tightening admission standards and improving the advising program.

Much of the funding for the academic changes was previously intended for upgrading to a Division I athletic program, a plan that WSSU abandoned last month because it was deemed too costly.

“We believe that if we are successful we will change the educational outcome at Winston Salem,” Reeves told the committee.

The committee also reviewed the possibility of using special obligation bonds, which are cheaper and tax exempt, to fund renovation projects at UNC-Chapel Hill and N.C. State University instead of borrowing from banks.

Education and planning

After extensive discussion, the education and planning committee decided to amend the new mission statements of N.C. Agricultural and Technical State University and the N.C. School of Science and Mathematics.

UNC-system mission statements are revised every few years, and each school was required this year to submit an updated statement.

“Different campuses think things through and do them in different ways. We respect that as long as it’s a reasonable portrayal,” said Alan Mabe, senior vice president for academic affairs.

The new mission statements should be decided at next month’s meeting.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.