Carolina Marketplace highlights arts groups

Sean McKeithan, a Carolina Performing Arts representative, explains some of the organization’s events. DTH/Laura Melosh

The casual, subdued atmosphere of Wednesday’s Carolina Marketplace was a stark contrast to the more hectic kickoff event known as Fall Fest.

The event, held in the Pit, was designed to give student organizations related to arts and culture another opportunity to reach out to students.

Carolina Marketplace — part of Student Body President Jasmin Jones’ platform — was sponsored by the student life committee of student government.

“Jasmin really wants a way for students to get involved and highlight new student organizations on campus,” said Kelsey Farson, co-chairwoman of the student life committee.

“Fall Fest is a very overwhelming time, especially for first-year students.”

Jones worked with Farson and Nina Brashears, the committee’s other co-chairwoman, to organize the event and was a proponent of the idea from the start.

This was the first year the event has taken place, and its organizers said they hoped it would provide freshmen with an opportunity to learn about organizations at a deeper level.

“Unlike Fall Fest, you can come based on your interests,” said Brashears.

Wednesday’s Marketplace was the first installment in a series of three events. It highlighted groups relating to arts and culture.

An Oct. 7 event will be a venue for advocacy and service organizations, and Oct. 14 will be a showcase for religious, athletic and miscellaneous organizations.

“It’s a really great opportunity to see everything all in one place,” Farson said.

Organizations that are participating in Carolina Marketplace include Pauper Players, Carolina Performing Arts, North Carolina Hillel and more.

Senior Aaron Salley, an administrator for the student-run production company Pauper Players, said he thought Carolina Marketplace would be a good place to find new members.

“We figured we’d get a little more focused crowd,” he said. “They sought us out, instead of us throwing flyers in their faces.”

Some students said they found the event to be more relaxed than Fall Fest and a good opportunity to find new interests on campus.

“I think it’s a great idea,” said junior Hannah DeBlock. “It’s nice for student organizations to have another voice throughout the semester.”