Carrboro author receives large writing award

Krista Bremer didn’t even know she was nominated for a writing award until she received a package in the mail that said she was a finalist.

But Bremer, an essayist and The Sun Magazine associate publisher, won a $25,000 national writing award for female writers from the Rona Jaffe Foundation. She was one of the six to receive the award.

The Carrboro author said she does not know who nominated her. The Rona Jaffe Foundation keeps nominators anonymous.

The anonymous nominator wrote that “Krista writes with a keen eye for the beauty — and absurdities — of contemporary American culture.”

Bremer said her writing is inspired by uncomfortable experiences.

“I like writing about issues that get stuck in my head,” she said.

She and her Libyan husband, who was raised in a devoutly Muslim household, have an 8-year-old daughter who one day asked her parents to buy her a head covering.

“I had mixed feelings about it,” Bremer said.

She said later, while at a pool, she saw another young girl in a small bikini.

She began to think about the pressures of women.

“My intention when I write is to increase tolerance and awareness,” she said.

The foundation awards female writers who are in the early stages of their writing careers.

Bremer told the foundation she plans to use some of the money to travel to North Africa.

“I want to spend time with my in-laws,” she said.

She said she believes every relationship is bicultural since every person has their own background.

Her colleague and the managing editor of The Sun Magazine, Tim McKee, said he isn’t surprised she won.

“She has a fine craftsmanship with words,” he said. “It’s hard, in nonfiction, to be personal in a way that is also universal.”

He said she is able to write about her life and marriage in a way people can relate to.

Bremer has also won other awards, including a 2008 Pushcart Prize for her essay, “My Accidental Jihad.”

She also has a Artist Fellowship from the North Carolina Arts Council.

“My intention is to start cutting back my hours,” Bremer said, who currently works full-time at The Sun Magazine but would like to begin writing a memoir.

Bremer, along with the other five winners, was honored in a private ceremony last Thursday in New York City.

Contact the City Editor at citydesk@unc.edu

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide