Chancellor to take questions

Greeks, tuition to be main focuses

Chancellor Holden Thorp
Chancellor Holden Thorp

Students curious about the state of University affairs have a chance to ask questions this afternoon at an open house with Chancellor Holden Thorp.

“We try to do this so the chancellor and the student body get to interact on a much more personal basis,” said Student Body Vice President David Bevevino.

Organized by the Chancellor’s Office and the Division of Student Affairs, the open house will focus on two main topics: budget and tuition and the University’s relationship with the Greek system.

Thorp will give brief statements on the two topics, and students will then have a chance to ask him questions about any topic they want.

“We want students to let the chancellor know and the student advisory committee know what’s on their minds,” Bevevino said. “Come with your questions; anything and everything is fair game.”

Greek life

With the death of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity president Courtland Smith and the arrests of several members of the Greek community earlier this year for cocaine-related offenses, the relationship between the University and the Greek system has come under scrutiny.

In the wake of those incidents, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Winston Crisp gave a speech to fraternity pledges Sept. 20, telling them that the University’s relationship with fraternities had reached an all-time low and that it was time for the system to shape up.

In recent weeks, the administration has clearly expressed its support for the Greek system and its intent to help the community in its efforts to curb alcohol and substance use.

In a blog post written last week, Thorp said the Greek community serves an important role at UNC and that it must be safe and support academic life.

Budget and tuition

A state budget that cut about $37.5 million from UNC’s operating revenue has forced administrators to make several changes.

One of these changes is an increase in class sizes, though there has been no overall decrease in the number of seats offered.

With a decrease in state funding and a tuition increase of about $1,127 for out-of-state undergraduate students on the table, UNC’s fiscal policy is another item on Thorp’s agenda.

The proposal, which interim Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Bruce Carney called a “working figure,” represents an almost 5.2 percent increase in out-of-state tuition, which would be used to support faculty members and to provide more financial aid.

That number must be approved by a committee of students and administrators, the Board of Trustees, the system’s Board of Governors and the N.C. General Assembly.

Proposed tuition increases

Nonresident undergraduate increase: $1,127

Total tuition: $22,880

Nonresident graduate increase: $732

Total tuition: $20,543

Attend the open house

Time: 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. today
Location: Union Fishbowl Lounge