Chips’ first improv comedy show expected to draw big crowd

While Halloween is usually associated with scariness, the Chapel Hill Improv Players hope to kick the weekend off with laughter.

Chips will be performing its first full show of the school year at 8 p.m. tonight in Hamilton 100 with tickets for $6.

“It’s going to be a crazy wonderful weekend, and there’s no better way to start it off than laughing your mask off,” said John Reitz, the co-artistic director of Chips.

This night of comedy will contain Halloween elements with sketches and some new short-form games.

The improv group has done theme sketches in the past. During basketball season, they performed a Chips Madness sketch in honor of March Madness.

“We try to make our shows relevant to whatever’s going on,” said Robert Stephens, the director of Chips.

Reitz said he felt the Chips performance had an advantage over other Halloween-related events taking place at the same time.

“Improv is a unique experience. What you’re going to see in the show is going to happen one time and one time only,” he said.

Chips encouraged the audience to dress up in a Halloween costume for the event.

There is $1 off the regular $6 admission for people wearing costumes or who bring fliers for the show with them.

Stephens said he thought costume participation would benefit the show.

“Improv and comedy shows rely a lot on the energy of the audience. It helps if people are already in that creative, optimistic mind-set,” Stephens said.

“If they’re dressing up they already have that energy.”

While the group has done performances around holidays, it is rare for the group to have a holiday theme event to this extent.

“We depend on the audience to create what we’re making,” Reitz said. “It’s a party. Everyone’s invited; everyone’s involved.”

Stephens said he remained optimistic for the turnout of the event, despite competition from other groups.

“So far with all the flier-ing, the Facebook group and word-of-mouth, I think we’re going to have a pretty good crowd,” he said.

“I think that Halloween and all of our publicity will make it a sold-out show.”

Reitz said having a larger audience would create a more energetic event.

“Laughter is contagious, so for that reason, the more the merrier,” he said.

“It is frightening how funny this show is going to be.”

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.