Eagles expect to ?ll Rice’s shoes by group

The Boston College basketball team looks to build off last season’s success after losing only one player from last year’s NCAA tournament team.

The Eagles earned a No. 7 seed in the NCAA Tournament and finished the year with a 22-12 record after losing to Southern California in the first round of the Big Dance.

They finished tied for fifth in the ACC with a 9-7 conference record, which was highlighted by an 85-78 win at UNC on Jan. 4, handing the Tar Heels their first loss of the year.

Second-team All-ACC guard Tyrese Rice, who led Boston College in scoring and assists, is the only missing link from last year’s team.

BC has only one senior, backup center Tyler Roche, on this year’s team, but they have experience in seven juniors.

Coach Al Skinner, who is entering his 12th year leading the Eagles, didn’t sign any freshman recruits to the team, which has four starters and 11 total lettermen returning.

The biggest issue for Boston College will be getting their returning players to step up and replace Rice, who was the clear leader of the team and the focal point of its offense.

It will be no easy task to replace his 16.9 ppg and 5.3 apg, but if the Eagles want to head back to the NCAA Tournament, they will need someone to pick up the scoring.

Junior forward Joe Trapani, who was second on the team with 13.4 points per game and led it in rebounding with 6.6 per game, and guard Rakim Sanders, who averaged 12.9 points, will return to lead the offense.

Trapani, who hit 52 3-pointers last season, stands 6 feet, 8 inches and can cause matchup problems for opposing defenses with his shooting range.

Juniors Corey Raji and Josh Southern, who also started last season, will lead the frontcourt that will also rotate in lone senior Roche. The biggest question for the team is who will step in at the point in the spot vacated by Rice.

Sophomore Reggie Jackson and junior Biko Paris played well enough in a limited role last season, but for Boston College to succeed this year one of the two will have to step up to run the team.

If the returning players are able to step up in a big way the Eagles will have a shot to return to the NCAA Tournament.