Parents and alumni have pressured the University to take a strong stance against alcohol and drug abuse among undergraduates in the wake of the death of junior Courtland Smith, the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity president who was shot dead by police on Aug. 23.

Chancellor Holden Thorp has articulated his intent to help Greek life at UNC survive, but the initiative did not originate within UNC’s administration.

“That momentum is there to improve life within fraternities and sororities, and we’re going to be there to support them,” Thorp said.

Smith’s death, in addition to the arrest of several members of fraternities and sororities for a September cocaine bust, has focused attention on the issue of alcohol and drug abuse within the Greek community.

But Thorp emphasized the two incidents were unrelated, and the call for action to temper substance abuse came from outside the administration.

In the wake of Smith’s death, Thorp received numerous e-mails requesting him to use Smith’s death as an opportunity to crack down on alcohol and substance abuse within the undergraduate population.

“UNC’s students, parents and alumni are increasing their discussions regarding the abusive use of alcohol and drugs at Carolina,” wrote Ann and Ronald Wooten in an Aug. 27 e-mail to Thorp.

“Their fears are intensifying about students being hazed, raped, robbed and assaulted due to … drug-induced behaviors.”

But Thorp said addressing alcohol and drug usage was not his first reaction to Smith’s death.

Rather, that impulse came from parents, alumni and other outsiders.

“I wasn’t thinking about substance abuse at all when I heard the news,” he said. “That was their reaction. It came from them.

Thorp said his immediate reaction was to wonder how Smith died.

“There was a lot of momentum from them, from Greek parents and alumni, and so we’ve moved in to try to support this.”

Smith’s autopsy report stated that he had a blood alcohol content of about .22 at the time of his death, almost three times the legal limit.

Some who contacted Thorp in the week following Smith’s death asserted drinking is a campuswide problem that needs addressing, according to e-mails obtained by The Daily Tar Heel.

“I urge you to seize this moment to enact meaningful changes regarding alcohol use by undergraduates before another life is lost, either by death or the long-term struggle of alcoholism or alcohol dependence,” wrote Ron Bogle, a former Catawba County Superior Court judge, in an Aug. 27 e-mail to Thorp.

On Friday, Thorp addressed the UNC Board of Visitors, an advisory group of 160 alumni and community leaders, 85 of whom Thorp said were in sororities or fraternities as undergraduates. He asked them to highlight the University’s support for the Greek system.

“You can help me dispel the notion that the University doesn’t want Greek life to continue. We are committed to the survival of Greek life.”

In a Friday blog post, Thorp said he is meeting with DKE and Interfraternity Council leaders to address the challenges they face and create a leadership development program.