Jones seeks tailgate money

Asking for $667 for Oct. 22 event

Student Congress will vote today on whether to retroactively appropriate money to the student government’s executive branch for a tailgate event held before Thursday’s football game.

Because Student Body President Jasmin Jones missed the Oct. 10 deadline for submitting her $667.20 appropriations request, it might be more difficult for her to secure the money.

Congress members must approve retroactive appropriations by a two-thirds majority instead of the simple majority required to pass a bill before an event takes place, meaning it will be more challenging for Jones to receive approval.

Organizers said about 800 students attended the event, which was co-hosted by student government and several other organizations.

Student Congress has already made one retroactive appropriation this year, $1,325 to Carolina Students for Life for a debate that was happening at the same time as the Congress meeting. Only 138 people attended the debate.

Congress Speaker Joe Levin-Manning said the fact Jones’ request is retroactive will probably not matter, because in most cases Congress approves funding requests with a large majority.

“Almost every funding request we’ve had has been passed by over two-thirds,” he said.

But Levin-Manning said he cannot predict how members will vote.

“Congress sometimes surprises me,” Levin-Manning said.

The tailgate cost a total of $9,912.20, and the executive branch committed to providing $667.20 of that amount. The rest was funded by seven other organizations and student groups on campus, including the Rams Club, the Carolina Athletic Association and Carolina Fever.

Student government’s $667.20 contribution will help pay for maintenance, table transportation and security costs relating to the tailgate.

“The money that we asked for from Congress went to fund the aspects that would directly affect the success of the event for the entire student body,” said Meggie Staffiera, senior class president and one of the event’s organizers.

Jones said the executive branch already pledged to contribute the money to event organizers and will have to look for alternative sources of funding if the request is denied.

As part of the finance committee’s appropriation process, Jones attended the committee meeting on Oct. 19 to present the request on behalf of the executive branch.

But because the committee did not have a majority of members present, the meeting was not considered official.

Members who were present made a motion to report the request favorably for today’s finance committee meeting.