Laser shows mix rock music, lively lights

3-D glasses add to experience

Senior Travis Ray prepares the light board for the “Laser Zeppelin” show in the Morehead Planetarium. DTH/Chessa Rich

Chapel Hill and Carrboro are known for a vibrant music scene.

And for the next few weeks, Morehead Planetarium and Science Center will be an unusual venue for a different type of production: laser rock shows.

For the first time since 2004, the planetarium is putting on a set of laser shows that are choreographed to psychedelic music from artists like Pink Floyd, U2 and Led Zeppelin.

“I think it’s well done,” said senior Travis Ray, a student assistant in charge of ensuring the shows run smoothly. “It’s definitely a change from the normal planetarium shows.”

The lasers are emitted by specialized equipment rather than the star projector astronomy students are familiar with. The planetarium splits ticket revenue with the company that leases the equipment.

This technology allows the shows to project a more colorful, lively show than traditional projectors can produce.

The show “Laser Zeppelin” includes images of fabled guitarist Jimmy Page’s face melting, various stairways leading to heaven and a suspicious phallic shape at the climax of the song “Whole Lotta Love.”

The planetarium gift shop offers 3-D glasses for a small fee as a way of enhancing the experience. Planetarium External Relations Director Jeff Hill said the glasses aren’t necessary but give the audience a deeper sensory effect.

He also noted that some of the later shows are only appropriate for ages 13 and up, particularly Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon.” Hill said it’s up to parents to judge whether the content of the shows is suitable for their families.

The show’s content changes on Halloween, with several screenings of a spooky laser event. The family-oriented Laser Halloween is backed by classics like the Ghostbusters theme song and Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.”

“We hope the families will bring their children to see early in the day before the Franklin Street activities start up,” Hill said.

The series is set to end Nov. 22, with a “Last Chance Laser Weekend.” The planetarium will forego the usual educational programming and show the entire laser line up back to back from 10:30 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Notable laser show enthusiasts include Chancellor Holden Thorp, who served as director of the planetarium from 2001 to 2005. Under his leadership, the planetarium branched out in an effort to attract different demographics. Hill said Thorp is a fan of laser rock shows.

ATTEND THE SHOW
When: Friday and Saturday nights until Nov. 22

Schedule:
Laser classic rock: 7 p.m.
Laser U2: 8 p.m.
Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon: 9 p.m.
Laser Zeppelin: 10 p.m.
Pink Floyd’s The Wall: 11 p.m.
Location: Morehead Planetarium
Tickets: $9.50 per adult, $7.50 per student or Morehead member

Laser shows based on rock music might contain content that is
inappropriate for children under the age of 13.