‘Massage’ has no place here: Many questions remain about Tom Cat’s 2

The establishment commonly known as University Massage— now named Tom Cat’s 2 —is an enterprise that should arouse the moral concern of everyone.

A recent presentation by Donna Bickford, director of the Carolina Women’s Center, has piqued interest in the establishment again.

For years, the massage parlor has been beset with rumors and allegations of prostitution and sex trafficking.

In 2007, Daily Tar Heel columnist James Edward Dillard wrote about his experience at University Massage.

In his column, Dillard said that he was offered “a massage in a special place” in exchange for money. In response, Chapel Hill police launched an investigation into the possibility of prostitution or sex trafficking, but found no evidence. Yet questions remain.

The perception of illegal activity is pervasive, but nobody seems to care. Bickford expressed dissatisfaction with the lack of community outrage.

And she’s right. Bickford pointed out that prostitution and sex-trafficking are inevitably linked, and the possibility of these crimes occurring on Franklin St. should be cause for outrage and demand for a full explanation.

The continued existence of an establishment of this repute is a stain on the reputation of Franklin Street and runs counter to the values of the University and the town.

This is Chapel Hill. We don’t want a business of this kind, especially one only two blocks from a children’s museum.

It seems that the nature of the services Tom Cat’s 2 offers is the worst kept secret in town.

Everybody talks about it. Newspapers write about it.

Although there is no evidence to support claims of sex trafficking or prostitution, the Chapel Hill community should be concerned about the possibility of illegal activities occurring on Franklin Street.

As Bickford pointed out, students should not take this situation into their own hands.

But if you feel that more should be done, contact your state and U.S. representatives to demand further investigation.