Mayoral and ALdermen Candidates Answer Farmers’ Questions

Carrboro mayoral and Board of Aldermen candidates spoke about tax revenue, budget cuts and residential and commercial growth when asked questions by farmers Thursday night.

The forum was hosted by the Carrboro Town Hall and Hogan Farms precincts of the Orange County Democratic Party.

Five candidates are running for three seats on the Board of Aldermen and three candidates are vying for mayor.

Tax base

Every candidate voiced dissatisfaction with the ratio of residential and commercial taxes. Carrboro’s current tax distribution is 90 percent from homeowners and 10 percent from local businesses.

Most of the candidates agreed that the ratio should shift to 70 percent residential and 30 percent commercial. Mayoral candidate Amanda Ashley said the proliferation of small businesses would help even out the ratio.

“We do need more commercial development in the northern part of the town,” incumbent Alderman Jacquie Gist said.

“There is a great opportunity available right now with the Homestead Center for sale.”

Development

Some candidates alluded to the addition of a hotel which would also help shift the tax ratio in favor of Carrboro residents.

Mayor Mark Chilton said some rural areas in Carrboro need to be reserved for future commercial development.

“We’ve had more large-lot single-family developments in north Carrboro,” he said.

“We don’t need more of that. We need to preserve open space in northern Carrboro for future commercial development.”

Incumbent Alderman Randee Haven-O’Donnell said she would not like to see much change in development in the northern portion of the town. She said she is especially opposed to the addition of Carolina Commons, a housing development for faculty and staff working at UNC.

The development is waiting for approval from Carrboro after the University proposed the development in early August.

“This faculty-staff housing is a great opportunity, but I have to question why they are using 25 acres near the creek when they have space near the campus,” Aldermen candidate Sharon Cook said.

Budget

To relieve budget constraints, Board of Aldermen candidate Tim Peck proposed a partnership between Carrboro and Chapel Hill’s police forces.

“Our largest budget expenditure is police and safety, perhaps some sort of combo with Chapel Hill will help cut costs,” Peck said.

Every candidate except mayoral candidate Brian Voyce supported the addition of a half-cent sales tax increase intended to bolster Carrboro’s public transportation.

“I work in Durham, I waste a lot of gas every day,” Haven-O’Donnell said. “Express buses would greatly improve the way we move from Carrboro to the Triangle and back.”

But Voyce said the tax should instead be placed on gas, which would directly tax those who are using transportation.

Alderman candidate Sammy Slade said he was in support of public transportation and suggested the possibility of a light rail.