New managers look to change Abbey Court

Elsa Ally Dena, left, property manager of Abbey Court Condominiums, chats with tenant Heather Monroe. DTH/Colleen Cook

A Carrboro condominium complex that has been the site of numerous arrests, noise complaints and reports of discrimination is fast becoming a community improvement project.

With a new bilingual property manager and a security contract with the Carrboro Police Department, the majority-Latino Abbey Court Condominiums off of Jones Ferry Road is transforming into a place of cooperation rather than of controversy.

Community members from the Carrboro town manager to the manager of the Carrboro Farmers’ Market met last week to find solutions to Abbey Court’s problems of crime control and a lack of access to resources.

“We want the community to solve the problems, not the town of Carrboro,” said James Harris, director of economic and community development for the town, who hosted the meeting.

The meeting was held in the offices of new property manager Elsa Ally Dena, hired by The Tar Heel Companies of North Carolina, which owns Abbey Court, in May.

She replaced management that faced protests last year from residents who said their cars were wrongly towed and their apartments were not maintained.

“This is the first manager in 25 years that has been receptive. The community has been screaming for it,” Carrboro Police Chief Carolyn Hutchison said at the meeting.

New voices for Abbey Court

Dena, who grew up with Spanish as her first language, supports and connects to a community of largely non-English speaking residents.

She has lived in the area for more than 10 years and was working at a boutique when she came across the job offering at Abbey Court.

Already aware of its controversial history, Dena said she felt compelled to take on the challenge.

“I knew that there was a lot of stuff out here that needed to be changed and managed differently,” Dena said. “I was ready for it.”

Jennifer Greene, senior vice president of human resources and marketing at The Tar Heel Companies, said the group always strived to be community-friendly.

“I think it’s just now coming out,” she said, referring to recent controversies as a “black cloud” hanging over the company.

She would not comment on the turnover in management.

One of Dena’s first actions as manager was to fire a private security agency that checked on residents, Delta Company Police, and hire off-duty Carrboro police officers.

Dena said residents had complained of discrimination by the security company.

“I had lots of complaints from residents at the time that said they were being biased against them.”

Alfonoso Hernadez, a 19-year-old Abbey Court resident who managed a Web site protesting the problems last year, said prior management had used the security company to tow cars just for having dents and scratches.

“The only people that seem to be affected by this are Latinos,” Hernandez told The Daily Tar Heel last year.

Maj. Dan Norman of the Delta Company Police denied any discrimination or towing calls by security officers.

Norman said his company improved the situation.

“When we came in a year and a half ago, it was really a mess. We were going from 10 to 15 calls of service a night to one or two every other night,” Norman said.

An improved relationship

Dena said residents have welcomed town police and feel safer.

And police said the new partnership is a way to improve relationships in an area where they were already responding to calls.

Hutchison said noise complaints, drinking in the parking lot and harassment and assault as the main issues, most of which were committed by non-residents, she said.

“As chief, I see this as a very good opportunity for the department to focus some attention on all of the residents of Abbey Court,” Hutchison said of the new partnership.

“We simply must acknowledge that many of them are Latino. It provides us a very good opportunity to reach that particular population.”

Hernandez took his Web site down in the spirit of working with the new management.

“This management now is caring and wants to work with everyone else,” Hernandez said. “I see them fixing everything. This is what everyone wants — unity.”

She said she will use her background to mend the company’s relationship with residents. She hopes to respond to complaints in Spanish and bring English classes and health resources on site for residents.

“I do understand the struggle and how they want to learn, and the stuff that they’re doing for the kids and everything,” Dena said.

“They get married while they’re here, they have babies while they’re here. That’s their life — it’s not just an apartment, it’s where everyone has their home.”