Old Well logo on ri?es stirs trademark debate

The Old Well logo has been a symbol of UNC for more than a century, but the placement of the symbolic landmark on a rifle has concerned some residents and students and prompted legal action.

The Collegiate Licensing Company, which protects universities’ trademark rights, is taking action against the Historical Armory, a rifle manufacturer based out of Fort Collins, Colo. that specializes in national commemorative projects.

The company designed a .22-caliber “Historic Orange County” rifle that includes, along with the Old Well, other significant icons such as the North Carolina and U.S. flags, a cannon and a deer.

“When we hear of someone using one of our marks in an improper way, it is customary to take some sort of legal action,” said Derek Lochbaum, director of trademarks and licensing at UNC-CH.

The Old Well logo is clearly a registered trademark of the university, said Mike McFarland, University spokesman.

The project became a public controversy when Carrboro Mayor Mark Chilton, a UNC-CH alumnus, discovered the use of the logo.

In a recent interview with the (Raleigh) News & Observer, Chilton said he believed the rifle would send the wrong message.

Kristen Pierce, a senior chemistry major, was also uncomfortable with the logo being put on a rifle.

“Using the Well is using UNC,” Pierce said. “It’s associating us and our school with guns and violence.”

Others didn’t think it was something to be concerned about.

“I’m from Mississippi, and when boys turn 16, they get shotguns. Being from the South, I don’t think it’s the weapons that are the problem but the people behind them,” said Martha Wood, a senior chemistry major.

Still others say the key issue is not using of the symbol on a rifle, but getting permission.

“As long as they obtain University permission, I don’t see why they can’t,” said Anthony Dent, treasurer of the Tar Heel Rifle and Pistol Club.

“To me, there would be no difference between the Tar Heel logo being on a calendar or on a rifle.”

The Historical Armory did not return calls Thursday seeking comment.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.