Smith autopsy released

Courtland Smith
Courtland Smith

An Archdale police officer shot Courtland Smith four times, thinking the UNC junior was reaching for a gun, according to an autopsy released Wednesday.

The report of autopsy investigation by the N.C. Medical Examiner states Smith died Aug. 23 from gunshot wounds to his arm, abdomen, left thigh and upper back.

The order of the gunshots, fired from a .357 caliber police handgun, is not specified in the report.

The 21-year-old Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity president exited his vehicle and made a “suggestive move toward his pocket which the police interpreted as a move to get a gun,” the report states.

Even with the autopsy release, Smith’s reason for driving about 40 minutes away from Chapel Hill and his whereabouts in the hours before being stopped by police on Interstate 85 at about 5 a.m. are still unclear.

The State Bureau of Investigation, which was present for the autopsy, is continuing to look into the incident.

Alcohol and depression are named in the report as contributing factors in Smith’s death. Smith called 911 about 15 minutes before being stopped, saying he was drunk, had a gun and was trying to kill himself.

The report does not state whether Smith was actually armed with a gun. His parents, Pharr and Susan Smith, had said previously in statements to friends that he was unarmed.

A toxicology report also released Wednesday concluded that Smith was intoxicated, with a blood alcohol content of about .22 percent, almost three times the legal limit of .08 percent. It makes no mention of other substances being present in Smith’s system.

The report also notes that Smith had expressed suicidal thoughts to friends.

“Young student had commented to friends on (day of death) and before about possible suicidal ideas,” it states.

“One of the things that alcohol does that people often don’t talk about is it intensifies emotional feelings,” said Fulton Crews, director of the Bowles Center for Alcohol Studies, in an interview in August.

“I have a feeling the alcohol really triggered his melancholy emotions and triggered a suicidal mind set.”

In a statement, members of Smith’s fraternity said they were surprised by the medical examiner’s statements that Smith had discussed suicide previously.

“No one we have talked with has mentioned any such conversations,” the statement says. “We are also unaware of any history of depression; to the contrary, Courtland was cheerful and optimistic. We are not autopsy experts, but we are confused by these editorial comments made by the local Medical Examiner with no references to his sources.”

SBI investigations are routine when an officer fires a weapon. Jennifer Canada, a spokeswoman for the SBI, would not comment on the ongoing investigation.

Jeremy Paul Flinchum, the Archdale police officer who shot Smith, is still on administrative leave. A second officer on the scene, Chris Jones, is back on duty after a period of administrative leave.

Friends and family have remembered Smith as an engaging leader who worked as a counselor at western North Carolina’s Camp Mondamin and served as president of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity.

Smith was last reported seen in Chapel Hill leaving a Delta Kappa Epsilon house party at about 12:30 a.m. the day of his death.