There’s no place like home on the Hill

While talking to a friend just over a week ago about her Fall Break plans, I walked over to my calendar.

We were, indeed, already well into October.

My internship in New Orleans was already halfway over.

I decided at that moment to take my own Fall Break — one home to North Carolina for an extended weekend.

Going home for a few days made me realize why I love North Carolina, Chapel Hill in particular, so much.

For one thing, it was actually fall when I crossed into North Carolina last Thursday.

Don’t get me wrong — I love summer weather, it’s great. Nevertheless, it was awesome being home and having it feel like October, or at least what I think of as the autumnal month that culminates in tricks or treats.

Meeting friends for dinner Thursday night at Spice Street was weirdly nostalgic, though I’d been there with the same girls not too long before.

We even got a piece of free chocolate cake to share. Our waiter remembered us and was sad that he hadn’t seen us in months.

He’ll obviously be seeing us again.

And for the rest of the weekend, I was happy to see more friends out and about in Chapel Hill.

Furthermore, spending a night at home with Mom, my Yorkie (Mojo), a supreme pizza from the local gas station, Ghirardelli brownies and the movie “Hocus Pocus” couldn’t have been more relaxing.

Traditions such as those never lose their appeal.

Despite all of this, I’m definitely excited to be back in New Orleans as well.

There are still a lot of restaurants I want to go to.

Also, I’m pretty psyched about going to the “House of Shock” horror show.

The Travel Channel has rated “House of Shock” as the “Number One Most Extreme Haunted Attraction.”

There’s a strong possibility that I will regret the latter decision a few seconds after purchasing my ticket as I stand in line hearing the screams from within the attraction.

But I’m still going to go. I don’t see how I could live so close to such a great Halloween attraction during the Halloween season and not go.

I’d feel like a cultural failure.

Oh, and Halloween in New Orleans in general.

Halloween.

In New Orleans.

Cannot wait!

All Hallow’s Eve should be a decently fun time in New Orleans.

But of course, nothing beats Chapel Hill on Halloween. I’m a bit jealous to be missing it.

All in all, spending time away from home to learn new things, meet new people, and experience a different culture is very important, and I’m glad that I’m doing so.

However, going home for a weekend reminded me why I think of North Carolina as “home.”

You feel so much more at ease when you’re at home, wherever that may be for you. You’re just happy to be there and happy to be around your family and friends.

With all of this in mind, I will be sad to leave New Orleans at the end of the semester, but I’ll also be excited to be coming home.

Lea Luquire is a senior Spanish major from Yancyville interning in New Orleans, La.