Friday, Sept. 20, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC gunners showcase speed, skill in coverage

North Carolina’s punt coverage squad has adopted the mind-set of “Beamer Ball.”

The term refers to the style of play that Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech head coach, preaches about the importance of field position.

And with UNC’s offense struggling as of late, it’s easy to see why field position has become so important.

“That’s a big key in the game ­— winning the field position battle,” said Johnny White, a gunner on UNC’s special teams unit. “I think gunners have a lot of control and can help big time. It can set us up for a better opportunity on offense.”

The special teams have proven to be one of the most consistent facets on the team.

So far they have allowed a mere 3.45 yards per return, giving the defense plenty of cushion.

That minuscule yards per return average is the 22nd lowest  in the country, and a big reason why UNC has kept their previous two games close.

“We’ve been relying on them to make some big plays for us and they’ve done it,” Allen Mogridge, UNC’s special teams coach said. “They answered the bell.”

Against Virginia, the Tar Heels held Chase Minnifield to 11 yards on three returns. UNC was in contention for much of the game and part of that can be attributed to not giving up big returns.

White, a junior, shares the gunner responsibility with senior Jordan Hemby. Their job is to run downfield and tackle the opposing punt returner.

“They’ve done a nice job out there,” Mogridge said. “They’re beating press coverage and getting down the field and making those returners make decisions, whether it be fair catch or whether it be get the ball secured and get stopped.”

The gunners aim to get off the line of scrimmage and reach the returner while evading blockers — a skill that both players attribute to their speed.

“I feel like I have a lot of speed, so I try to use that to my advantage,” Hemby said. “On the first one, I test him out to see how the special teams are going to react to me, but if he’s too slow I’m just going to run around him.”

White and Hemby utilize a speed that has frequently marked them the fastest players on the team by teammates and coaches.

That speed allows them to close the gap and leave little room to make a return — a testament to the sparse amount of yards they have allowed.

In addition, the pair must still execute a solid tackle once they get downfield with their speed.

“I just run until he puts his hand up,” Hemby said. “If he doesn’t put his hand up then I’m going to just get to him full steam.”

The gunners typically reach the returner in close succession, and both Hemby and White admitted that they compete to get there first.

White said that he is happy if Hemby gets the tackle, but that he always tries to reach the returner first.

“We talk about it, even during the week we talk about it,” Hemby said. “Then, during warm-ups we will see each other, and we will try to have a race to see who can get down there the fastest.”

Whoever it is, precedent suggests he’ll make another great play for UNC’s punt coverage.