UNC Students discuss safety with Chapel Hill municipal candidates

The issue of safety took precedence Tuesday as a group of about 20 students voiced their concerns to Chapel Hill mayoral and Town Council candidates at a meet-and-greet in Bingham Hall.

The event, hosted by student government’s town and external relations committee, was intended to help students learn about the candidates’ stances on local issues in a more intimate setting.

“The idea was for the event to be on a more personal level,” said committee chairwoman Hilary Workman.

Students focused on safety and panhandling in downtown Chapel Hill while talking with the candidates.

Matt Czajkowski, a mayoral candidate, said he is concerned about safety downtown.

He said he was talking to a freshman last week who had been groped by a man in broad daylight while walking downtown.

“Most of the people who live in Chapel Hill don’t feel comfortable coming downtown,” he said.

He said homelessness and safety are significant concerns but said he is unsure how one can tackle a problem as large as homelessness.

Mayoral candidate Mark Kleinschmidt said students could help sway the election.

“Students have the power to run the town if they wanted,” he said.

Kleinschmidt added that most of his discussions with students centered on the town’s growth, specifically bringing more housing options to the downtown area.

Mayoral candidate Kevin Wolff declined to comment. Mayoral candidate Augustus Cho, who left about halfway through the event, was unavailable for comment.

Will Raymond, a Town Council candidate, said he agreed that safety was the dominant concern of students.

Town Council candidates Matt Pohlman and Jim Merritt were also in attendance.

Penny Rich, another Town Council candidate, said when she ran for Town Council in 2007 the University hosted a similar event that was more structured and formal.

She said the informality of this year’s event provided a more comfortable, relaxed atmosphere for students and candidates.

“I kind of like standing around and talking with folks,” she said.

Jon DeHart, Laurin Easthom, Ed Harrison and Gene Pease, who are also running for Town Council, were not in attendance.