UNC system approves new sustainability policy

Higher education policy makers put UNC-system schools on a defined track Friday toward becoming carbon neutral by 2050.

At its October meeting, the UNC-system Board of Governors approved a new policy that requires system schools to comply with certain standards of environmental sustainability on campus.

The policy asks schools to make sustainability a key consideration in campus operations, planning, capital construction and purchasing practices.

It also asks schools to become carbon neutral —  net zero carbon dioxide emissions — by no later than 2050 and to work toward climate neutrality, which entails cutting emissions of gases other than carbon dioxide.

“The policy is a recognition of the fact that universities need to be leaders in addressing societal challenges,” said Cindy Shea, director of the Sustainability Office at UNC-Chapel Hill.

The policy’s guidelines are broad and give universities ample room to interpret the policy based on their specific needs, said Shari Parrish, an associate vice president for finance for the UNC system.

It was created in response to recommendations made by UNC Tomorrow, which outlines ways for the UNC system to work for the benefit of the state.

The board also was motivated by a state law passed in 2007 mandating the creation of energy-efficient programs that include standards for reductions in water and energy consumption.

The law also called for campuses to decrease energy consumption by 30 percent and water consumption by at least 20 percent.

Although the policy gives few concrete recommendations, it does recommend specific practices that they can use to become more energy-efficient.

The only concrete requirement for universities is that they integrate sustainability principles into their construction projects, maintenance, transportation, and recycling and to work toward carbon neutrality.

“This will make things more systematic,” Parrish said. “This is also a change in how we do business — how we design, plan and maintain from an energy-efficiency standpoint.”

UNC-CH is already well on its way to becoming wholly compliant with the new policy. It adopted its own policy in 2005.

“Many initiatives have already been integrated into campus operations,” Shea said.

Climate neutrality is the most ambitious goal outlined in the system policy because it requires expensive changes such as building renovations and transportation changes, Shea said.

More efficient systems will be implemented within buildings, residents will be provided with environmental education and renewable materials will be purchased for the facilities.

Ninety percent of UNC-CH’s emissions come from heating and cooling buildings, Shea said.

UNC-system sustainability policy

Integration of sustainability principles: Incorporate sustainability into the institution’s processes, administration, teaching, research and engagement.

Master planning: Sustainable principles related to infrastructure, site development and community impact should be incorporated in the master plans.

Design and construction: Project planning and construction should meet energy and water efficiency requirements.

Operations and maintenance: Buildings and grounds should meet or exceed requirements to reduce energy and water use, provide excellent air quality and minimize materials use.

Climate change mitigation and renewable energy: The University shall develop a plan to become carbon neutral as soon as practicable and by 2050 at the latest.

Transportation: The University shall develop and implement a comprehensive, multimodal transportation plan designed to reduce carbon emissions and dependency on single-occupant vehicles.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide