Varsity blues no more: Now that Chapel Hill will have its downtown movie theater back, students should support it

The Varsity Theatre is an icon in Chapel Hill and needs to be preserved. The iconic theater cannot stumble again, but it’s up to patrons to make it happen.

With the theater’s reopening, students have another chance to take in the experience that is the Varsity.

And why not, with an updated and fresh venue?

The theater will reopen under the new ownership of Susan and Paul Shareshian in mid-November after extensive renovations.

The theater will not only be aesthetically pleasing but will have the potential to become the new place to be on Franklin Street.

Renovations to the theater will include upgrades to the lobby and the concession area.

Although the Varsity Theater was known for playing independent films, it will now rely on mainstream films to bring in more revenue and appeal to a broader audience.

But the theater will still continue to play classic films, the new owners said.

The nostalgic feel of the theater will not be destroyed by the renovations but enhanced.

An evening out in Chapel Hill is rarely a bargain, especially for students. But a trip to the Varsity Theatre will be a fun and affordable date.

Tickets will be $3 for all shows, a price hard to resist when Southpoint Cinemas charge $7.50 for students to attend an evening show.

Students need more options on a Saturday night, and the theater will be a cheaper and perhaps trendier alternative to the bar scene.

Alcohol arrests and poisonings in Chapel Hill are increasing rapidly, and students need more to do than drink. Attending an affordable evening movie within walking distance is a great way to do something different.

The Varsity Theatre needs to be kept alive, and the community should step up to support it.