Chinese underground music comes to surface

Three indie artists on campus tonight

Indie rock, though usually thought of as uniquely American, is created around the world.

The showcase of Chinese underground music tonight brings three Chinese indie artists, who represent some of the best in a genre increasing in popularity internationally, to UNC.

Bands Carsick Cars, P.K. 14 and singer/songwriter Xiao He are leading names in the Chinese indie rock scene.

“It might strike some people as strange and dissonant,” wrote Amy Zhang, chairwoman of the organizing committee, in an e-mail.

“When you think of media’s predominant representations of China, you don’t exactly think guitar riffs or electronic dance beats.”

The concert is organized by the Social Commentary Committee of the Carolina Union Activities Board.

The bands have gained some fame internationally but are relatively unfamiliar to American audiences.

“They are well-known in China. If people there listen to indie rock, they listen to this,” said Wenhua Shi, a lecturer in the communications department who hosted radio shows in China.

A panel discussion and Q-and-A about Chinese music and youth culture will kick off the evening, led by Shi, professor Robin Visser, who specializes in Chinese urban culture and Charles Saliba, tour manager for the bands and a key player in the indie rock scene in Beijing.

“You can see the panel as a radio show, where you get an introduction before you listen to the music,” Shi said.

Zhang wrote that the concert is a different way to access China.

“It challenges our static perceptions of Chinese culture and people by checking out subaltern narratives about China, from China,” Zhang writes.

Although this is the first U.S. tour for Carsick Cars, the band already has gained some fame outside of China by opening for Sonic Youth on their European tour.

“Even if you don’t understand the lyrics, the melodies and energy are just the same as in English music,” Shi said. “Also, in these bands you can hear American influences, such as from Sonic Youth, Bob Dylan and The White Stripes.”

P.K. 14 was named one of Time magazine’s “5 Asian Acts to watch in 2008.”

Xiao He incorporates ancient Chinese religious poetry and aesthetics into contemporary rock, Visser said.

“These are fabulous musicians,” Visser said. “If students want to get more insight into what’s happening in China, especially Beijing — they’ll learn about its youth culture and the arts.”

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.