Comedian ?nds the funny in awkwardness

Mike Birbiglia got his comedic start with an award in the third grade.

If you have ever been in an awkward situation, comedian Mike Birbiglia knows how you feel.

The comedian has become famous for his stand-up, which usually plays off awkward situations.

Students and the community alike have the opportunity to hear about these awkward situations and more as UNC welcomes Birbiglia for a performance tonight.

Birbiglia has made appearances on Comedy Central Presents and late night shows such as the Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien and the Late Show with David Letterman. He is a regular contributor to the radio show “This American Life.”

“I’ve always been a huge fan of his stand-up and thought he’d be perfect for Carolina,” said Amanda Kao, president of Carolina Union Activities Board.

The show has not yet sold out, but once the show was opened to the general public, ticket sales increased. More general public tickets have been sold than student ones.

Kao anticipates many people just showing up at the door the night of the show.

“I think his comedy is really special because he is such a gifted story teller,” said Cody Hughes, a student comedian who has participated at local comedy clubs.

“He is only 30 or 31 years old, which is really impressive. It takes five years to find your voice on stage and 10 years to get the timing of a joke right,” he said.

Birbiglia got his start in third grade when he won the “Author of the Month” award and the rest is history. His recent one-man off Broadway show “Sleepwalk with Me” is critically acclaimed.

“He’s a very relatable comedian. A lot of his jokes are based on, I don’t want to generalize, but awkward situations he finds himself in,” Hughes said. “I think we can all relate to that.”

Sam Morgan, chairman of CUAB’s comedy committee, describes Birbiglia’s style as very laid-back and relatable. He said his style is story-based and approachable and above all, hilarious.

Kao said another reason she enjoys his comedy is that it’s clean and not crude.

“I think that takes a lot of talent because it’s still hilarious but not perverse,” she said.

Student tickets are $10 and general public tickets are $20.

“If anyone is on the fence about coming to the show it’s a great price,” Morgan said. “It should be a great show.

ATTEND THE PERFORMANCE
Time: 8 p.m. today
Location: Memorial Hall
Info: unc.edu/cuab/events.shtml

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.