Concert review: ‘Can bangers’ uniquely rock

Bang on a Can and Trio Mediaeval perform together Tuesday night at Memorial Hall. DTH/Ashley Fernandez

Bang on a Can and Trio Mediaeval melded a myriad of musical instruments to create a truly unique style in a short performance Tuesday night lasting a little more than an hour.

Bang on a Can members did not exhibit much of the up-tempo rock style they have in previous performances. But the band did use a variety of instruments including maracas and triangles to reach a distinct sound.

Trio Mediaeval sang in perfect harmony throughout the concert and accompanied the musicians well.

The most captivating portion of the performance occurred when the clarinet, drum and guitar players jumped to their feet and stomped with the beat, their hands in time with the cellists and the piano player.

The groups performed “Steel Hammer,” a composition in the style of Appalachia by Julia Wolfe, one of the founding members of Bang on a Can.

The composition included discussions of the life of John Henry, a legendary figure who defeated a steam engine in a race to lay down the most railroad tracks.

The performance started very slowly, with only the singers. They began by singing the same phrases in different pitches, which turned into a harmonious round. After about five minutes, the musicians joined for their portion of the song.

Following the unexpectedly slow beginning, the tempo picked up.

While there were minimal stage props, they only distracted the audience from the performance. One large screen behind the musicians and two smaller ones flashed certain words and images, mostly depicting verses the singers were about to recite.

The harmonies were enchanting, and the repetitive and paradoxical lyrics convoluted the story, as Wolfe intended. In her notes on the piece, Wolfe said she pulled from more than 200 versions of the John Henry story, outlining its many contradictions.

The singers would often pause and sing in a new melody only to return to the previous lyrics. This made distinguishing the different developments in the story difficult.

The performance ended in a standing ovation, although the audience did not automatically realize the set was over.

While the lyrics might have taken away from the performance, the expertly blended musical instruments and vocals made for a unique concert experience.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.