Eick announces candidacy for College Republicans chairman

UNC hasn’t exactly been a breeding ground for conservative political leaders.

But in the past year, the UNC College Republicans have been on the front lines of organizing and interacting with conservative groups across the state.

And now the chapter’s leader is looking to become a major conservative voice in the state.

Junior John Eick announced his candidacy Sunday for chairman of the North Carolina Federation of College Republicans, a conglomeration of College Republicans chapters throughout the state.

He said he wants to strengthen the conservative presence at state universities and work to re-elect Sen. Richard Burr.

Eick, the chairman of the UNC chapter of College Republicans, said he plans to campaign by visiting other chapters in the state and sitting down with their chairmen and delegates to discuss future goals for the group.

“I want to encourage collaboration between chapters,” he said. “We need a more united effort.”

He said his top priority would be to help Burr’s campaign for re-election next year.

Eick, a political science and public policy major, said his interest in politics began in middle school and high school, where he was drawn to conservatism and the Republican Party. The College Republicans at UNC offered him the opportunity to become involved in the conservative movement, he said.

“The College Republicans offered a chance to network with like-minded conservative students,” Eick said.

Eick said the group has expanded its membership and increased campaign fundraising during his chairmanship.

In the letter announcing his candidacy, Eick said he felt his experience with the College Republicans would help him create a larger conservative presence on North Carolina campuses.

“The state party realized that the youth are voting Democrat,” Eick said. “We need to strongly represent the conservative youth in the state.”

Current federation Chairman Benjamin Lynch wrote in an e-mail that the chairman is responsible for appointing and directing members of the group’s executive board as well as attending major GOP meetings in the state.

Lynch added that the chairman must have an obvious sense of dedication and be a leader in organizing Republican campaigning on college campuses.

The chairman and other positions will be elected at the federation’s spring convention in March. Each College Republicans chapter in the state will send delegates to vote at the convention.

Eick said a single candidate for chairman ran unopposed in each of the past two elections, but he expects to have a competitor this year.

Tyson Grinstead, former chairman of the UNC College Republicans, also served as state chairman in 2006-07.

UNC College Republicans member Anthony Dent said he is confident Eick will be an effective leader at the state level.

“I’ve been more than pleased with his efforts on campus,” Dent said. “His organizational ability and capacity to bring together people I think will translate well to the next level.”

Dent said the UNC organization will try to promote Eick as a candidate at meetings and functions with other chapters.

Eick announced in his letter that Duke College Republicans Chairman Justin Robinette will be his running mate for co-chairman.

The letter also states that his campaign platform will be announced in the coming weeks.