Growth is right decision

Robertson Program right to accept UNC, Duke freshman

The Robertson Scholars Program’s new effort to enroll mid-year freshmen at UNC and Duke University is a great way to reward students who have demonstrated campus leadership and a passion for learning during their first semester.

Thanks to a new two-year pilot program, four first-year students from UNC and Duke will be invited to join the 2013 class of Robertson Scholars this spring.

In the past, only high school seniors have been eligible to apply for the scholarship.

Each year, about 36 high school graduates are admitted to the program at either Carolina or Duke.

Allowing college freshmen to apply to the Robertson Scholars Program is an effective way to provide young students the opportunity to prove themselves worthy of admission as members of the UNC community.

Scholarships like the Robertson program should exist as incentives to go to college and work hard — not just work hard to get into college.

According to Tony Brown, the program president, the program’s board wanted to provide current students who have adapted well to college life and “demonstrated clear values” and a “passion for working with and inspiring others” with the opportunity to enroll.

Scholarship programs are a great way to provide incentives for bright and determined students to attend UNC.

But many merit-based scholars are rewarded for their achievements as high school students, not for the progress they have made while enrolled at the University.

Thanks to the Robertson Scholars Program, UNC students will now have the opportunity to use their first semester achievements in order to gain admission to one of the top merit-based programs offered by the University.

Applications for the First-Year Student Scholars Program will be available on the Robertson Scholars Program’s Web site on Nov. 21 and are due by Jan. 15.

After individual interviews that will take place during the selection process, new scholars will be invited to join the Robertson Scholars Program on Feb. 22, 2010.

We encourage all freshmen who have made a positive and strong impression during their first semester to apply.