Lack of sleep hinders success

Skipping sleep creates a ‘debt’

With the semester more than halfway through and final exams looming, some students are beginning to feel the harsh consequences of a lack of sleep.

This pattern isn’t good for anyone save Starbucks, said Jeannie Loeb, a lecturer in the psychology department. Loeb sorted out the myths and facts of sleep deprivation.

What is sleep deprivation?

“Everyone seems to have a certain amount of sleep they need to get,” Loeb said. “Some people are short sleepers and some are long sleepers.”

Regardless, each person will function normally if they achieve the appropriate amount. If not, they incur a sleep debt and face the symptoms of sleep deprivation.

What are the symptoms of sleep deprivation?

“The primary symptoms can vary quite a bit. The only consistent symptom is sleepiness,” Loeb said. Symptoms can also include irritability and perceptual distortion.

Loeb also said she believes most people don’t understand the bad effects of sleep deprivation.

“People think they’re thinking just as well without sleep. We’re finding that is not the case,” she said.

This doesn’t bode well for students taking exams.

“Students’ confidence levels are higher than normal, but performances tend to be much lower than usual,” she said.

Can I make up my sleep debt?

Not completely.

“For whatever reasons, the body tends not to make up all the sleep that we miss,” she said.

Even if students sleep the equivalent in hours of the sleep they missed on one day the next day, they only make up some parts of sleep.

“And some parts of the sleep that you’re losing are involved with learning and memory,” she said.

Does coffee help?

Partially, yes.

“Coffee interferes with at least one of the chemicals that is involved with sleepiness,” she said.

In addition, there are no proven long-term consequences associated with frequent coffee consumption, Loeb said.

“So far as I know, there are no long-term negative consequences with coffee, but there is continuing research,” she said.

She added that everyone in the research community is not in agreement.

“It’s an effective method but not the solution,” she said.

What are some tips to make sure that I can sleep when I want to?

There are several things that will help you maintain “good sleep hygiene”:

Have a consistent sleeping routine.

Avoid drug use, including alcohol late in the evening.

Don’t associate your bed with anything not relaxing ­— like studying.

Keep a fairly cool temperature in your room.

Don’t eat a large amount of food before bed.

Avoid any strenuous activity before bed.