2 of 5 stars

When Michael finds his mother engaged to a complete stranger, David Harris, he is far from pleased — especially when his new stepfather explodes at all threats to the ideal he envisions for the newly formed family. As the opening scene proves, Michael is right to be concerned. It shows David calmly shaving, putting in color contacts, and leaving a house full of bodies. 

The rest of this year’s remake of “The Stepfather” is a waiting game. When will Michael (Penn Badgley) discover the truth? When will he be able to convince his mother? The answer is obvious: during a thunderstorm.

Director Nelson McCormick doesn’t shy away from employing the usual clichés, and ironically they’re what lend the movie its few moments of suspense.

While low on suspense, the movie is high on eye candy. Gossip Girl’s Penn Badgley (Michael) and girlfriend Kelly (Amber Heard)prance around in bathing suits and seek solace in a lot of PDA. But it’s absolutely unbelievable that both characters are supposed to be high school juniors. Nevertheless, Badgley effortlessly pulls of the role of sexy protective son/boyfriend, and Heard manages to steer clear of the naïve blonde stereotype. 

But it’s Sela Ward’s return to the screen that’s most exciting. As the gullible but charming Susan, she desperately tries to hold her family together, effortlessly embodying the mother in a non-conventional family.

Dylan Walsh of “Nip/Tuck” is convincing as title villain David Harris. He captures both the psychotic arrogance and charming smoothness of his character. When he is the cold sociopath, his eyes are as dead as the butchered families he leaves behind.

The cast of “The Stepfather” is then absolutely not to blame for disappointing result. The dullness of the script limits their performance and makes the movie a predictable thriller lacking in real scares. The only real horror to be found is that the ending leaves the door wide open for a sequel.