Not so 'Wild Party'

Show entertains but doesn’t stand out

From right, Jessica Cruz, a senior communications studies major, and Alex Daly, a sophomore dramatic arts major. DTH/Sam Ward

Alcohol, drugs, romance, sex and parties.

The 1920s era-based play “Wild Party” focuses on these elements that still pervade society today in a strong but not spectacular musical.

“Wild Party” embodies these phenomena, but it never fully peaks musically.

The musical is presented this weekend, today and Tuesday in the Cabaret by UNC Pauper Players, with music and lyrics by Andrew Lippa.

The play follows the story of Queenie, a vaudeville performer, and Burrs, a clown, who grow tired of their relationship and throw a party to spice things up.

During the party, the two try to make each other jealous, which leads to a large fight and results in a character’s death.

While the silky flapper costumes shined and the mini-bar and colorful abstract paintings of the scenery gleamed, the acting was only sufficient and the plot was obscure during the first act.

Issues with lyrical annunciation and characters’ solo overlaps made it difficult to keep up with basic plot structure.

With multiple characters singing at once, the audience was left to decide who to focus on.

As with most musicals, some numbers were better than others.

In some cases, the leads fell short of vocal climaxes, but at other times they blew the audience away with range and talent.

Jamie Serkin, who plays the role of temptress Kate, is particularly spectacular.

Another highlight was the jazz band, which sounded authentic of the time period and kept smooth rhythm throughout the scenes.

Director Nick Culp said in the program’s director’s notes that “the elements of ‘Wild Party’ — violence, passion, jealousy, infidelity and substance abuse — are timeless, so the story retains its relevance 80 some years later.”

Themes of sexuality, betrayal of trust, substance abuse and crime resonate with the audience as common issues of this day and age. These themes were portrayed well throughout the play.

Yet musically and plot-wise, “Wild Party” only truly climaxes toward the end of the play, with the sexual debauchery of party-goers and the accidental murder of one of the leads.

A line from the play sums up the characters’ mind-set: “If in Heaven you don’t excel, you can always party down in Hell.”

Culp also said that “‘Wild Party’ exemplifies the good, the bad and the ugly of the roaring ’20s, but in a broader context bears a striking resemblance to the social scene of the present.”

At the end of the musical, there was sincere applause and a few shouts for favorite leads, but no standing ovation.

The audience response reflected their collective feeling. It was an entertaining show, but not enthralling.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.