Nourish to host comedy bene?t

Proceeds aim to help nonpro?ts

Nourish International will mix laughs with community service tonight with its second Comedy Night on Franklin Street.

Nourish, a nonprofit organization and committee of the Campus Y, is hosting the event at Jack Sprat Cafe.

The show will feature nine student comedians and give each person about three minutes to showcase their talent.

Some of the comedians featured are members of the Chapel Hill Improv Players, a sketch comedy and improv group on campus.

Comedy Night will feature some sketch comedy routines as well as some stand-up acts.

“We have high-energy comedians, we have very, very low-energy comedians, but they’re all really funny — it’s going to be awesome,” said Sam Morgan, who is a liaison to comedians for Nourish and will also perform at the show.

Comedy Night is one of Nourish’s business ventures. The organization partners with non profits around the world, creating and implementing sustainable development through summer projects.

Profits from ventures such as the Comedy Night support these projects.

“Last year we filled up to over Jack Sprat’s capacity in about 30 minutes,” said Zack Dawson, chairman of the ventures committee.

Nourish raised close to $1,000 last year and had a packed house.

“We don’t know what is best for any community, but these organizations that we work with are already very established in these communities and know the needs,” said Jonathan Tarleton, the co-chairman of the UNC chapter of Nourish International.

“They have projects in mind and we aim to empower them with whatever sort of capital they need to implement the projects.”

Between comedy routines, members of Nourish will present the audience with information about the organization and its projects.

Tarleton said the group always wants to create events people want to attend because they are excited about the events, not just to support the cause.

The comedy show emerged as a business venture when members of Nourish started talking to their friends, who were student comics.

Student comedians said they do not have much opportunity to present their work to the community.

“As far as stand-up goes, this is one of the fun ones,” Morgan said. “Last year it was incredibly fun — the show just went really well.”

ATTEND THE COMEDY NIGHT

Time: 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. today
Location: Jack Sprat Cafe, 161 E. Franklin St.
Info: nourishinternational.unc.edu

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.