The first attempt at establishing a Human Rights Day for Chapel Hill and Carrboro failed.

Judith Blau, director of the Chapel Hill and Carrboro Human Rights Center, located at Abbey Court condominiums, said the event was canceled because of fear of low attendance.

The board members of the Chapel Hill and Carrboro Human Rights Center approved plans for the event in July, but they were canceled upon further consideration Nov. 8.

“A year ago we sponsored eight days of community meetings on human rights such as local foods, fair trade and the whole gamut of human rights,” Blau said. “The event was really poorly attended, and the board said they didn’t want a repeat of last year.”

Blau decided to create this year’s Human Rights Day, which was scheduled for Dec. 5, because of a general lack of understanding about human rights.

“Most Americans do not know what human rights are, and I felt that the event should be academic,” Blau said.

She said the event was planned to focus on the rights of immigrants, rights of labor, and rights to health care and housing through panel discussions. Presenters would have included Habitat for Humanity, the American Civil Liberties Union and the UNC School of Law.

“It saddens me that the event was canceled,” said Nancy Hilburn, a Human Rights Center volunteer.

Pluto Richards, treasurer of the Chapel Hill and Carrboro Human Rights Center, said he supported the cancellation of the event.

“I don’t think people will come out to panel discussions all day. We should have events that draw people, like concerts and theater, and have discussion in between,” Richards said.

Blau said she attributed last year’s low attendance to a decreased sense of community.

“American communities are made up of isolated individuals. It is difficult to build neighborhood-wide support for a human rights day,” Blau said. “But we need human rights to build these bonds.”

Blau said the cancellation has not deterred her from planning another event.

“We will do it again. Maybe the place to start is a big festival at the University,” she said.

“Young people are more open to these ideas.”