Parade returns to downtown

Student Body President Jasmin Jones has been instrumental in organizing a Saturday morning parade. DTH/Andrew Johnson

Students’ passion for Saturday morning sleep will be overcome by their visceral hatred of Duke University this weekend.

Dozens of student groups will wake up early, dress in Carolina blue and roll through the streets of downtown Chapel Hill as part of student government’s Homecoming parade to build spirit for another chapter in UNC and Duke’s storied rivalry.

UNC is revitalizing the old tradition — — being held for the first time since about 1993 — to make this year’s Homecoming a more student-oriented event, instead of having the celebration focus entirely on alumni.

Student Body President Jasmin Jones said the goal of Saturday’s parade is to get more students involved in Homecoming.

“I just think Carolina has some of the most school spirit that I’ve seen in the nation,” Jones said.

“This game is a great way to highlight that pride, and the parade is a way to showcase how great Carolina is.”

Jones said more than 70 student groups are registered to participate, as well as other members of the University community and notable residents, including outgoing Chapel Hill Mayor Kevin Foy.

“It will be a nice mix of the University and the community,” Jones said.

Student government officials worked with the town of Chapel Hill and the UNC Department of Public Safety to close parts of Franklin, Raleigh and Columbia streets during the event.

“The effort was worth undertaking,” Jones said.

Jones added that the parade comes without a hefty price tag. The event will cost UNC about $200, which will mostly cover cleanup costs. The money is coming from student fees.

Fred Hobson Jr., a distinguished professor in English and comparative literature, said he remembers the Homecoming parades from when he was an undergraduate in the 1960s.

“It was a pretty big deal on Friday nights,” he said.

Hobson said there used to be two fall parades — one for Homecoming and another before the football game against Duke.

This year’s Homecoming parade will be similar to UNC’s past parades, as participants will still proceed down Franklin Street in the spirit of defeating Duke.

But this year’s parade will take place on the morning of the game instead of the night before, when it was scheduled in the past.

Hobson said he thinks the parade will be similar to the ones he enjoyed as a student but is interested to see how the tradition will evolve.

“I believe there will be a little more irony and an edge to the floats, which I would like,” he said.

Ken Jameson, an executive assistant to Jones, helped organize this year’s Homecoming events, including the “Fair Before the Fight,” a carnival held Thursday night at Hooker Fields.

Jameson said he hopes both the fair and parade will show students that Homecoming is not just for alumni, but that it is important for the student body.

“Our main difficulty has been breaking the stereotype that Homecoming just comes and goes,” Jameson said. “It is an important event.”

He added that he hopes students are more enthusiastic about Homecoming this year.

“In the past years, everyone has said, ‘What’s the big deal about Homecoming?’ This year, the goal is to break that apathy,” he said.

“We’d love to inspire our football team and get everyone involved in their school.”