Rand’s exit will change politics

Senator to lead parole board

In a move that shocked political observers, N.C. Sen. Tony Rand, D-Cumberland, announced Wednesday that he will resign from the N.C. Senate, where he is majority leader, to become chairman of the state parole board.

Rand has been a North Carolina senator for 22 years. His resignation will fundamentally change the nature of the Senate and state politics as a whole — including UNC’s relationship with the N.C. General Assembly.

“He has set a tremendous impact on the state, and on almost every piece of legislation passed since he’s been there,” said Sen. Richard Stevens, R-Wake.

Rand and President Pro Tem Sen. Marc Basnight, D-Beaufort, worked together on virtually all major issues within the Senate, said Ferrel Guillory, UNC journalism professor and director of the Program on Public Life.

“Senator Rand and Marc Basnight were the duo that ran the Senate,” he said.

Rand had an incredible capacity for moving legislation through the Senate, Guillory said.

“He was to the state senate what Lyndon B. Johnson was to the U.S. Senate,” he said.

Their close friendship was also well-known.

“Tony has been as good a friend as I’ve ever had. And all of North Carolina couldn’t have had a better friend than Tony Rand,” Basnight said in a statement.

His resignation has raised many questions because of its unexpectedness. Some expressed doubt that it was only to take on the position on the parole board.

Minority leader Sen. Phil Berger, R-Guilford, said in a press release that Rand might have resigned because his views contradicted those of his increasingly liberal party.

Rand has not given any reason other than an interest in taking on a new role.

Rand’s mastery of the legislative process and ability to guide laws through the Senate will be difficult to replace, Guillory said.

N.C. Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange, said that Rand’s resignation will leave a void and that it will be challenging to replace him. In addition to being the majority leader, he was chairman of the rules committee.

“He is certainly one of the most brilliant and articulate people we have ever had in the Senate,” she said. “I think it’s going to take a while to right the ship.”

UNC will likely regret Rand’s resignation. The alumnus greatly supported the school in the Senate, said Stevens, also an alumnus.

“He has been a great friend of UNC-Chapel Hill over his time in the Senate, and the University will miss him,” Stevens said.

Rand, who graduated in 1961, has held leadership positions in the General Alumni Association. He used his influence in the Senate to secure state funds for many UNC initiatives, Stevens said.

Rand helped Guillory secure state funds to cover the costs of one of his program, Guillory said.

“He was a chief advocate and ally of universities, particularly Chapel Hill,” he said.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.