SBP podcasts aim to reach out

In a world of Tweets, Facebook and blogs, the student government has launched a monthly radio show and podcast aimed at improving communication with students.

The program, titled “The Student Body President Show,” airs on the WXYC 89.3 FM radio station, and each broadcast features different student government committees.

After the program airs, the shows can be downloaded as podcasts from student government’s Web site.

“We just look for any way to reach out to both the student body and the community,” said Monica Matta, chief of staff to Student Body President Jasmin Jones.

“This radio show is one of these opportunities, and since we can talk about the work that we do, it was an obvious decision to participate.”

Matt Berginski, a disc jockey at WXYC and host of the show, said student government has produced radio shows in the past. He said he believes many people download the podcast after the show airs.

The co-chairmen of the capital projects committee, who tries to include student voice in construction projects on campus, spoke about the proposal for a pedestrian bridge across South Road on Sunday. The Myth-Busters Series — a special project between student government and Carolina United — also discussed talks they will host in the spring on controversial issues such as affirmative action.

“These are projects that will have a dramatic impact on student life. They should know what is going on,” stated Ian Lee, co-chairman of the capital projects committee, in an e-mail.

Student Body Secretary Jonathan Tugman said each of the 30 student government committees and special projects would receive an opportunity to go on the show.

The show was initiated this summer when Jones and Student Body Vice President David Bevevino worked with WXYC. Matta and Bevevino said they are pleased with the show’s success and the different committees’ enthusiasm.

Will Thomason, co-chairman of the public service and advocacy committee, was a member of the team that produced the first podcast in September.

“I think it was cool, especially the fact that the podcasts can still be listened to,” he said.

Student government has produced three broadcasts since the semester began.

Bevevino said the podcast offers student government a chance to share its work with students.

“I don’t know how many people have listened, but I think it has been successful just letting people talk about their work,” he said.