The Harmonyx to perform ‘90s hits tonight

The ’90s is a decade that every UNC student has in common. Everyone remembers their favorite song or TV show from that era.

The Harmonyx a cappella group will be offering a blast from the past with their fall concert themed “I Love the ’90s” at 7 p.m. tonight in Hanes Art Center.

Tickets can be purchased in the Pit today from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., at the Carolina Union Box Office, or at the door of the art center.

Harmonyx plans to sing popular songs from the ’90s, as well as perform some skits that also go along with the theme of the show.

The song “Doo wop (That Thing)” by Lauryn Hill inspired the ’90s theme, director James Malloy said. The group was listening to the radio one day, looking for current hip-hop or R&B songs to sing.

“Nothing was peaking our interest. But then one ’90s song played, and then another, and the idea took off from there,” Malloy said.

The group will also be dressed in apparel from the ’90s during tonight’s performance.

“We always try to dress to the theme,” Malloy said. “Its a tradition.”

Torri Staton, a singer in the group, said she hopes that the audience will have fun at the show.

“We love what we do, and we do it for our audience,” she said. “We just want to make sure that everyone, including ourselves, is having fun.”

Harmonyx, a subgroup of the Black Student Movement, was founded in 1994. President Brycen McCrary said it began to fill a void left by other a cappella groups on campus.

“There were no representations of hip hop or R&B,” McCrary said. “Harmonyx wanted to be a voice for that.”

Group members said they think it’s going to be a fun night for everyone.

“We just want everyone to come and enjoy their time with us. Everyone can relate to the ’90s,” McCrary said.

“No one can get down like Harmonyx.”

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.