Anoop Desai continues musical career pursuits

Anoop Desai makes an appearance with Stuart Scott at Late Night With Roy in October. Courtesy of Carly Brantmeyer.

This article was published in the 2009 Year in Review issue of The Daily Tar Heel.

Former UNC Clef Hanger Anoop Desai launched his musical career in 2009, making his way to the Top 7 on American Idol and touring the country.

With a “yes” from all four American Idol judges and a “Welcome to Hollywood,” Desai’s summer 2008 audition in Kansas City started his journey with the show.

This first step began Desai’s rise to fame during the past year.

Time at UNC

During Desai’s years as an undergraduate at UNC, he was committed to the Clef Hangers, the University’s oldest all-male a cappella group.

The Clef Hangers perform several shows on campus every year. Desai was president of the group his senior year.

“As a friend, Anoop is one of the most down to earth and loyal friends you could have,” said Andrew Simpson, music director of the Clef Hangers.

Becoming an Idol

While singing was always an important part of Desai’s life, it wasn’t until former Student Body President Eve Carson’s death that he decided to pursue that dream in honor of her.

Desai had a strong fan base from UNC that supported him during the show. American Idol Season 8 began airing Jan. 13, 2009.

Returning to UNC

Desai returned to UNC on Nov. 8, performing in Memorial Hall for Homecoming and performed at the State Fair in Raleigh on Oct. 22.

In an interview in October, Desai said he wanted to perform in the Chapel Hill area.

Desai is currently pursuing his musical career in Los Angeles. He is recording and working with some friends, said Ryan White, president of the Clef Hangers.

“The past year totally did a 180 on my life,” Desai said in an October interview. “It’s been great. And it all happened because I took that first step.”

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.