Chapel Hill man injured in hit-and-run

Police arrest 40-year-old man near Meadowmont

A 65-year-old Chapel Hill man is in fair condition after he was hit by a car at about 11:40 p.m. Wednesday.

Earl Geer, of 202 Carver Street, started to cross West Franklin Street near McDonald’s when he was struck by Cole Andrew Buchman, 40, who was traveling east, Chapel Hill Police Lt. Kevin Gunter said.

“I’m not sure whether it was a glancing blow or what,” Gunter said.

He said Geer was taken to UNC Hospitals by paramedics with non-life-threatening injuries. Stephanie Crayton, UNC Hospitals spokesperson, said Geer is in fair condition.

Buchman was charged with felony hit and run, felony fleeing to elude arrest, driving while impaired and driving with a revoked license, according to the Orange County Jail custody report.

After striking Geer, Buchman continued driving toward Meadowmont Village off East N.C. 54, Gunter said.

Whitney Kenerly, who reported the incident to 911, said Buchman was driving erratically.

“I saw a really nice new midsize SUV yank out of the parking lot by Lantern,” Kenerly, a former UNC student, said.

“He started burning rubber.”

She said Buchman also sideswiped a red truck. After his vehicle passed, she saw Geer on the ground.

“It looked like his left leg was like a rag doll, just completely limp,” Kenerly said. “He had a really large gash on his forehead.

“I never saw him speak or move.”

Gunter said Buchman did not initially stop for police.

Officers blocked the road with police cars to arrest him near Meadowmont.

Buchman refused a breathalyzer test, Gunter said.

Police took him to UNC Hospitals to have blood drawn to be tested for alcohol.

Jason Wall, the general manager at Lantern at 423 W. Franklin St., said he told police that Buchman acted intoxicated when he ordered a drink at the restaurant, and employees refused him service.

“He was here, but he did not drink here,” Wall said.

Buchman was taken to Orange County Jail in lieu of $1,100 secured bond. As of 8 p.m. Thursday, he was still in custody.

Gunter said hit-and-run incidents are rare in Chapel Hill despite high pedestrian traffic and jaywalkers near downtown businesses and the University.

“They don’t happen as often as you would think,” he said.

Gunter said Geer wasn’t on a crosswalk when he was hit.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide