This article was published in the 2009 Year in Review issue of The Daily Tar Heel.

Nearly a year and half after a high school student’s death, community members still don’t have all the details of what happened.

Atlas Fraley, 17, died at his home after a high school football scrimmage on Aug. 12, 2008.

His autopsy, released March 18, stated Fraley died of “undetermined natural causes.” The report took more than seven months to complete.

N.C. Chief Medical Examiner Dr. John Butts, who performed the autopsy, cited cardiac arrest or an asthma attack as possible causes of death.

Now, Fraley’s family is preparing to take legal action against the paramedic who responded to the teen’s house hours before his death and Orange County Emergency Services.

Fraley had complained of muscle cramps and a headache at the scrimmage. Home alone, he called 911 at 1:45 p.m. to request intravenous fluids to treat what he said was dehydration.

Former Orange County Emergency Services paramedic James Griffin responded to his call and advised Fraley to hydrate and work out his muscle cramps. He then allowed Fraley to sign his own medical release form, despite his legal status as a minor.

When Fraley’s parents arrived home later that night, they found their son dead on the floor, surrounded by bottles of water and Gatorade.

Griffin resigned 15 days later.

A report released June 1 by the state office of EMS stated that while he violated Orange County protocol during his response to Fraley’s call, Griffin did not act incompetently under state regulations.

Although Griffin did not lose his credentials as a paramedic, he cannot work in Orange County again until he repeats training.

Jane Brice, Orange County EMS director, said in June she thought Griffin was capable of practicing anywhere in the state except Orange County because of the higher standard of service the county demands.

Fraley family attorney Donald Strickland said the family expects to file suit before the end of the year.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide