Former diplomat to teach

Course will focus on British policy

Sir Christopher Meyer will teach UNC students this semester as a visiting professor. DTH/Laura Melosh

Sir Christopher Meyer didn’t always know he would study diplomacy. While Meyer was a student at the University of Cambridge, a career adviser once suggested he pursue a career in the “fruit and vegetable industry.”

“I could be sitting in a grand house in Sicily looking over my balcony at orange groves and vineyards,” he said.

Instead, Meyer joined the British Diplomatic Services and served as a British ambassador to the United States. He will teach UNC students this semester as a visiting professor.

The Honors Program course offered in the spring, “Empire and Diplomacy,” will allow 33 UNC students to learn about British diplomacy from two professors — one in North Carolina and one in London.

Ted Leinbaugh, a professor of English at UNC, will instruct the course along with Meyer, who will lecture from London via videoconference.

Leinbaugh and Meyer, who have been friends since the 1990s, decided last year to collaborate on teaching a course at UNC. Meyer will lecture as the Morehead-Cain alumni distinguished visiting professor.

The class will focus on the diplomatic policy, history and origins of the British Empire. Students will read excerpts from “The Aeneid,” “The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire,” works by the philosopher Voltaire and other texts, debating the role of Britain in international relations.

Meyer will lecture to the class once a week. UNC students studying abroad in London will be invited to attend Meyer’s lectures in the United Kingdom.

Meyer served in several countries including Spain, Belgium and Germany before returning to London as the British ambassador to the United States, one of the highest positions available in the area of British diplomacy.

He was the British ambassador to the United States from 1997 to 2003.

After stepping down as ambassador, Meyer penned the book “DC Confidential” about his experience as a diplomat. His most recent book, “Getting Our Way,” covers nine episodes of individual diplomatic exchanges in British history.

“His new book sounded like a fascinating class for UNC students, a chance for them to meet somebody who had reach the highest diplomatic office in the United Kingdom,” Leinbaugh said.

Junior Nick Brod, who collaborated with Leinbaugh to develop the course, said he thinks the collaborative efforts will pay off and he looks forward to the experience.

“It’s one of those classes that I will remember in 10 or 15 years,” he said.

Meyer is currently visiting UNC and will give three speeches this semester about international diplomacy issues. He will also autograph copies of his book for interested students.

“We have never needed traditional diplomacy skills as we need them today,” Meyer said. “This gives me an opportunity to come forward with strongly expressed views to present strong ideas and spark resistance.”

Meyer said he is excited to teach the course.

“Ted decided we could create a course about this, and the rest is history,” Meyer said.