Local YWC presidency switches hands

Under pressure for being ‘too liberal’

Daryl Ann Dunigan
Daryl Ann Dunigan

The UNC chapter of Youth for Western Civilization has a new president after complaints to the national organization’s leadership that the group was becoming too liberal.

Under a new, more conservative leader, the group is looking to increase its presence and bring back controversial speakers that sparked disruptive protests and initially launched the group into the national spotlight.

Nikhil Patel, the former president of the campus chapter of Youth for Western Civilization, said he decided to leave the group after a conversation with the group’s national president, Kevin DeAnna.

Patel, an Indian-American who said he does not agree with some of the national group’s political ideals, became president of the organization during the summer after the group struggled to find a leader.

“I accepted leadership in order to promote free speech and diversity of thought,” Patel said in an e-mail.

Patel initially planned to pursue a dual presidency after complaints from the national organization. He decided to step down after Riley Matheson, his friend and founder of the UNC chapter, received a call from DeAnna during which he said he was “cursed out” because the chapter was becoming more liberal.

“Because DeAnna was only willing to contact me at the very end of this ordeal, as things were coming to a heat, and because it was obvious that whoever was feeding DeAnna information about me was not above lying, I decided to resign and disassociate myself from YWC completely,” Patel said in an e-mail.

Senior Daryl Ann Dunigan will now take over as YWC’s president.

Dunigan said she received the group’s recognition papers, documents that show the organization has University standing, from Patel Tuesday afternoon.

YWC’s official mission, listed on the national group’s Web site, states that it aims to “organize, educate and train activists dedicated to the revival of Western Civilization.”

But the local chapter has faced criticism from members of the UNC community who claim the group borders on white supremacist.

Last semester, YWC hosted two speakers whose talks were disrupted by protests. Seven protestors were arrested, and UNC received national attention for the incident.

Dunigan said she hopes to make more appearances and publicly promote YWC’s ideals.

“I think it’ll be more open about recruiting members and having a presence on campus even if we’re not having events,” Dunigan said. “We shouldn’t be ashamed.”

>DeAnna said he thinks Dunigan is better suited to serve as the chapter’s president.

“Nikhil is more of an independent, whereas Daryl Ann is a conservative, so we’ll probably do a lot more events,” he said. “I’m hoping to bring Tancredo back.”

But Elliot Cramer, a professor emeritus of psychology and a former YWC adviser, said he thinks the group will dissolve as the result of the national chapter’s interference.

“I don’t think it’s appropriate for a national organization to dictate to a local chapter,” he said. “I’d be surprised if the current advisers would be willing to stay on under the circumstances.”

Dunigan said the group will remain intact and the three advisers have been informed about the shift. She said although she might face opposition, she looks forward to the new challenge.

“I think the best thing is you can’t take it personally,” she said. “Take it with stride because it’s bound to have conflict, but I see the conflict as welcoming.”

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide