Music review: Continent

Dive gives 3.5 of 5 stars
Dive gives 3.5 of 5 stars

CFCF
Continent
Electronic

The title is a little off. Rather than just one continent, CFCF mastermind Michael Silver has created a set of songs with such a distinct story and atmosphere, it’s more appropriate to say he’s given us a world’s worth of thoughts and emotions.

Using synthesizers, strong percussion and piano as the building blocks for his songs, CFCF excels at hooking you within the first few beats. “Snake Charmer” starts off with quivering Middle Eastern notes that turn into a pattern of looping synthesizers. The heavy percussion of “You Hear Colors” almost makes you believe you are in for a dance track with a military-style drum beat before it fades into the background to let looping piano and synthesizers take over.

With almost no vocals, Silver relies on a vibrant and lush atmosphere. Standout tracks include “Letters Home,” which feels appropriately exotic and enticing and “Raining Patterns,” a synth-focused song that channels water with its shimmering tones and tumbling scales. Nothing feels rushed, and everything is deliberately crafted, making it easy to catch the mood.

But at times, this album can be a an exercise in patience. Almost all of the songs on the album are five minutes or longer, and each forms its own distinct melodic patterns that rise and fall in intensity throughout the song yet never really change.

The formula makes it easily accessible for casual electronic listeners — in fact it’s not hard to imagine it on future heavy rotation at Starbucks.

And while some might find themselves zoning out, wishing for a little more stimulation, Continent is an enjoyable album for anyone looking to take an emotional and atmospheric journey out of the norm.