Number of children on food stamps increases

DTH/Kristen Long
DTH/Kristen Long

The number of Orange County children on food stamps increased almost 10 percent since January, and officials say the economy is to blame.

In January, the number of people less than 18 years old receiving food stamps was 3,531. That figure has increased to 3,881 in October — the most recent figures available, according to the Jordan Institute for Families, part of the UNC School of Social Work.

This increase is directly related to a 31 percent increase in the number of Orange County households in need since last year, said Yvette Smith, the Division of Social Services economic services director.

She said there are new families applying for food stamps daily.

“Our eligibility is higher than what we are serving,” Smith said.

Orange County served about 41 percent of eligible participants in June. The county has a high number of eligible residents due to the number of college students in the area, she said. Anyone more than 18 years old who meets the requirements can receive food stamps.

Chris Moran, the executive director of the Inter-Faith Council for Social Services, said since last year there has been about 50 percent more people coming to their community kitchen. The Inter-Faith Council serves about 2,500 households and about 12,000 people, he said.

“We see new faces all the time,” he said. “Those numbers are always going up.”

Moran said some families often need food pantry services and food stamps to survive.

As of August, North Carolina has the 10th highest amount of households on food stamps, according to a U.S. Department of Agriculture survey.

“We’re still not meeting the need,” said Brad Deen, spokesman for the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services.

In October, N.C. issued more than $162 million worth of food stamps across the state to 568,323 households. About 589,068 N.C. residents receiving food stamps are less than 18 years old.

Deen said an increase in the need could put a heavier strain on the state and counties’ resources. Not everyone is getting help because some don’t know they are eligible and some just don’t want to ask, he said.

“I feel that there are families who find it difficult to make that first step,” Smith said.

Individuals who want to apply for food stamps must talk to a case worker to determine their eligibility, said Louise Moize, an Orange County economic services intake supervisor. The household income and any available funds are considered and approval can take up to 30 days, she said.

Those interested in applying for food stamps can contact Chapel Hill’s Southern Human Services Center.

“We encourage families to continue to try and meet the needs of their children,” Smith said.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide