Raise the roof: Arc proposal for housing in Meadowmont important

The proposal to build an eight-unit apartment complex for developmentally disabled residents should be approved by the Town Council.

Such a housing project would help fill a gap that Mayor Kevin Foy recognizes in services to people with developmental disabilities.

The Arc of Orange County, a nonprofit advocacy group for people with such disabilities, is spearheading the proposal, and Executive Director Robin Baker wrote an e-mail to Foy about the intended application.

The apartment building will be located in Meadowmont, a mixed-use development with residences, jobs and shopping in one general area.

The convenience of affordable housing, employment opportunities and places to shop would be a huge plus for those with developmental disabilities.

Rent will be variable, depending on the tenant’s income.

According to Baker’s letter, the rent for each resident will be no more than 30 percent of his or her earnings.

That is a welcome idea. It means that residents who might not be able to get high-paying jobs will still be able to have a roof over their heads.

Furthermore, it is possible that services will be offered to the new apartments’ residents as a part of the project’s goals.

Employment assistance and budgeting are potentially two of the most important services that could be offered.

The town needs to approve this application, and construction should begin as soon as possible.

The housing project, and the benefits it could include, would go a long way to helping the developmentally disabled, whose special residential needs are often overlooked.