UNC defense shuts down prolific Cardinal attack

COLLEGE STATION, TEXAS — North Carolina entered the 2009 season with the reigning national player of the year, a national championship and an offense that scored 89 goals in 28 games the previous season.

But the success of the Tar Heels did not come just from their offensive production. That same team allowed only 16 goals and returned its entire backline and goalkeeper.

With a defensive line of Whitney Engen, Kristi Eveland and Rachel Givan, along with Ashlyn Harris in goal, UNC allowed 12 goals in 27 games this year and held opponents to just 64 shot-on-goal opportunities.

Against Stanford on Sunday, the unit once again showcased its dominance on the field.

“We’ve tried to design a system that is difficult to play against, and that system is predicated on work ethic and high pressure,” coach Anson Dorrance said. “It’s hard for other teams to replicate that in practice, so often times even when a quality team plays us for the first time, it’s a bit of a shock.”

The Cardinals had racked up 80 goals on the season and won by a margin of four or more goals eight times this season. But the Tar Heels played their game against Stanford despite the potent Cardinal offense and totaled their 19th shutout on the year.

“Coming into the game, we had so much respect for Stanford and their front line,” Engen said. “In order for the system as a whole to work, we have to trust in the system. We don’t change our system for anybody.”

North Carolina held Stanford to just two shots in the first half and one shot on goal, which was never a true threat with Harris stalking it as it passed wide right.

In the second half, Stanford challenged the Tar Heels more frequently and attempted seven shots, only one of which was on frame.

Stanford boasted two of the top scorers in the nation in Kelley O’Hara and Christen Press, who combined for 47 goals this season. But UNC held the two forwards to just four shots and one shot on goal.

“It was really disruptive, and I felt like we had so many open players, and we were just struggling to get them the ball,” Press said of UNC’s defense. “We played 90 minutes of soccer that wasn’t the type of soccer that we wanted to play.”

That disruption has been key for the Tar Heels all season.

In a year where they took on a ranked opponent 15 times, UNC held 11 of them scoreless.

Dorrance credited that to unique style, work ethic and a philosophy that isn’t “horribly profound.”

“There are all these different ways to solve (the system) on paper, but there’s a completely different issue when you’re out there trying to play against it, and we’re forcing you to play at a speed you’re not comfortable with,” Dorrance said. “What we try to do is make the other team play faster than they’re capable of playing.

“What makes it work are the players sitting around me. You can’t do this with ordinary players.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.