Carmichael Auditorium renovations are almost done

Carmichael Auditorium was renovated and now hosts women’s basketball, wrestling, gymnastics and volleyball. DTH/Andrew Dye

Renovations to Carmichael Auditorium aren’t fully complete, but the women’s basketball team has already played and won four games in the updated venue.

A full dedication will take place Feb. 28, during the team’s game against Duke.

More than $21 million in renovations include a new scoreboard and video boards, an updated sound system and new women’s basketball locker rooms.

Two additions to Carmichael will house office suites for Olympic sports and women’s basketball programs.

Dana Leeson, UNC’s construction supervisor, said the least expected part of the renovations was having to redo the brick of the entire exterior of the building. The construction team was unable to find bricks matching the color and texture of the original exterior.

But that wasn’t the only issue.

“When we took the brick facade off, we found the underlying concrete block needed to be replaced,” Leeson said.

The contract for the construction totaled $21.7 million, he added. That number doesn’t reflect additional costs for furniture and other furnishings in the new offices.

Carmichael has previously been the site of NCAA women’s basketball tournament games, a U.S. Olympic Festival volleyball competition and dozens of camps and high school championships.

Jaci Field, assistant director of facilities planning and management athletics, said hosting future events and tournaments won’t take place until renovations to the adjoining Woolen Gymnasium are finished.

She added that she hopes the renovated Carmichael will have more campus events like concerts or job fairs.

The auditorium is named for the late William D. Carmichael, a former comptroller and vice president of the University.

Wrestling, gymnastics, volleyball and women’s basketball are all housed in Carmichael. The men’s basketball team posted a 169-20 record in the auditorium before moving to the Smith Center during the 1985-1986 season.

The women’s basketball team plays its next home game against Maryland in Carmichael on Sunday.

Field said that she attended the team’s first game back in Carmichael, and that she and the athletics department are extremely happy with the changes.

“If they’re happy, we’re happy,” Leeson said.