Town officials say the poor economic climate won’t affect their most recent attempt to revive downtown.

The first recipient of a town loan for art businesses, a gallery called FRANK, is set to open in the coming months at 109 E. Franklin St.

In addition to the town loan and generously low rent, the 3,400-square foot gallery is going to operate as a collective — meaning artists will pay to be members.

Recently, three local and privately owned galleries have closed or are on their way to closing.

But with FRANK’s unconventional business model, Chapel Hill Town Manager Roger Stancil said the gallery is a safe investment.

“From the scuttlebutt, people are very excited,” said FRANK Director Barbara Rich.

The gallery will showcase work with a price range from $10 to $10,000, she said.

With the collective business model, all paying members are guaranteed to have their work displayed in the gallery, Stancil said.

They also must work a certain number of hours in the gallery. About 25 founding artists and others will be able to show their artwork.

Stancil said members will be able to vote on gallery decisions, giving them the power to act as the gallery’s board of directors. 

The gallery has two years to pay back its $40,000 loan to the town in order to continue the fund, Stancil said.

The money will then be used to continue jump-starting local small arts businesses.

In addition to member fees, the gallery will receive a commission from sold artwork.

“We don’t think the gallery will have any trouble paying this money back,” Stancil said.

The gallery is part of a plan to continue to revitalize downtown Chapel Hill, Rich said.

“They see the gallery as a catalyst for a new profile of Franklin Street,” she said.

“We are hoping that more sophisticated restaurants and shopping will come as a result.”

But Jeff Girman, owner of Chapel Hill art gallery Studio 91, said even if the gallery is able to sustain itself, it’s not likely to make much money.

“It isn’t profitable right now,” Girman said, adding that several art galleries in the area have already closed.

“We are only able to tread through this because we are a wine bar in addition to being an art gallery.”

But Rich said she is undeterred by the poor economic climate.

“We are all betting that even in the current economy the gallery will be successful,” she said. “Chapel Hill is a fairly well-to-do community and attracts over two million visitors a year.”

Jane Tyndall, owner of Tyndall Galleries, said her gallery is set to close Saturday.

But in spite of that, she thinks FRANK will be a success in Chapel Hill.

“Many experienced artists are involved in this project,” she said. “Even with the downturn in the economy, the key to success in the art world is knowledge of the industry.”