Orange County is in need of blood donations

Winter blood drive reaches record high. DTH/Kristen Long

Although recent pleas temporarily boosted their supplies, local blood centers are still in the midst of a donation shortage.

The local chapters of the American Red Cross announced Jan. 10 they had only one day’s supply of blood — about 1,600 pints — available for hospitals in a region that includes Charlotte, Greensboro and the Triangle.

Since then, the supply has increased to roughly 2,200 pints, said Orange County Red Cross blood service coordinator Wilma Palmer.

But she said donation centers are still lacking in their blood supply.

To remedy the shortage, Palmer said the region’s blood donation centers have extended their operating hours.

“It has been critically low the last 10 days,” Palmer said. “This particular year, it has gone a little lower than in normally does.”

Palmer said the blood supply typically drops during flu season because sick people cannot donate.

But she blames fear of catching the H1N1 virus from giving blood and the closing of donation centers due to winter weather for abnormally low donations.

“This is a very serious situation,” said Scott Madry, disaster action team captain for Orange County Red Cross.

“We’re on the edge of managing the daily requirements for the local area.”

He said if a serious incident like a bus wreck were to occur and large amounts of blood were needed, local authorities could have a crisis on their hands.

Caroline Allison, Carolinas region Red Cross donor recruitment representative, said the Red Cross is intensifying efforts to attract donors by handing out fliers and releasing information through the media.

“We are trying to get the word out as much as possible,” she said.

“Blood is needed now more than ever.”

And one way to increase the limited supplies is by tapping into the UNC community.

“Organizations like fraternities, sororities and university departments can organize drives themselves,” Madry said.

Student Matt Conte said he was unaware of the blood shortage and hasn’t donated in a year.

“I’m definitely willing to give blood,” he said, adding that the men’s lacrosse team he plays for is planning a blood drive for later in the semester.

Darryl Young, a public safety officer at Ackland Art Museum, said he has never donated blood but has no fear about the risks associated with it.

“I’ve had about five or six tattoos,” Young said. “I’m used to needles by now.”

Contact the City Editor at citydesk@unc.edu