Second Walgreens could join Franklin St.

Proposed Walgreens: 1500 E Franklin St.
Proposed Walgreens: 1500 E Franklin St.

The Chapel Hill Town Council will invite the public to discuss tonight whether there is room for two Walgreens on Franklin Street.

Walgreens now is seeking to open a second location at 1500 E. Franklin St., between Estes Drive and Elliott Road. The pharmacy chain opened its first Franklin Street location in December.

The proposal to build the new store has to go through a public hearing because the land requires a special permit.

Attend the hearing

Time: 7 p.m. today

Location: Chapel Hill Town Hall, 405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Info: townofchapelhill.org

The Cary-based company backing the development project, The Design Response, has been working on the 1500 E. Franklin project for three years and will represent Walgreens at the meeting.

Rob Wilson, who is directing the project with The Design Response, hopes that if the store is approved, construction can begin during the late summer or fall of this year.

Wilson has lived in Chapel Hill for 14 years.

“We try to pay close attention to the town’s guidelines,” Wilson said. “It is a national retailer that is listening to what’s important for the community.”

Wilson said the store will appeal to Chapel Hill through unique architecture and energy efficiency. It would use monitors on the roof to let sunlight come in, a first for Walgreens.

Lisa Platania, the store manager for the newly opened Walgreens on Franklin Street, said she is excited about a new store and hopes businesses would be as supportive of a second location as they have been of the downtown Walgreens’ opening.

Walgreens’ opening across from decades-old Sutton’s Drug Store on Franklin Street sparked worry about its survival, but Platania said the stores have worked well together.

“We compliment each other on products that one of us doesn’t have,” she said.

James McCleary, an employee of The Shrunken Head Boutique souvenir shop, said he welcomes another Walgreens.

But UNC graduate Skylar Gudasz said she feels that another Walgreens is unnecessary. Sutton’s Drug Store and CVS Pharmacy in Carrboro are already in the area, she said.

“Big franchises completely destroy the individuality of a town,” she said, adding that she would like to see more locally owned businesses that cater just to students.

John Woodard, a UNC graduate and pharmacist at Sutton’s for 32 years, said he is not worried about competition from another Walgreens.

“We survived Rite Aid, CVS and Kerr Drugs. I imagine we’ll survive this as well.”